Is second hand ok?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sensfan555, Nov 16, 2004.

1. sensfan555

Nov 1, 2004
    im planning on getting a second hand bass. i have no clue wut to get, but im sur eill find anwsers in previous posts. but iw anna know, what are the things or details i should look into second hand basses? anything imporant that is often damaged? or that could ruin the sound?
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Just for assurance, second hand basses usually work better than second hand keyboards.
  3. You should get a second hand Fender Jazz bass built around 1962. Or maybe an old Fender Precision from the late 1950s or 1960s.

Let me know if you find one that does not cost too much.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Once you know what you are looking for, buying second basses is great. Some of the best basses i ever owned were bought second hand.
  5. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I'd say look at sale ads here on talkbass with special attention to stuff being sold by supporting members or long time members. Then you will be safer. I'm trying to avoid ebay these days...
  6. raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    Best bass I own (my Dead Edge 5, I poor :)), came to me second hand. You can get a much better bass used that new for the same amount money as a lower end new one. And on the plus side, if the person before you who owned it was really good at setting up the bass, you will have one that is setup probably much better than a factory set up bass.
  7. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Haha, it took me a second to get that. I was sitting here thinking, "But his post didn't say anything about piano!"

I definitely recommend buying second-hand, if you're willing to take certain precautions. You can get great instruments for significantly less than what they would cost new. I got a phenomenal deal on my Epifani cab. The trick is, sometimes distance prevents you from trying/inspecting the instrument prior to purchase. Ebay can be shady, but also very fruitful. Try to get as much information as you can about the source, including pics of the item and reasons for wanting to sell. If it stinks, bail. For what it's worth, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from most people here on TB, so definitely check out the classifieds.
  8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Nothing wrong with second hand. Both of my current basses were bought second hand. One of them was bought from a local bass player for about a third of the price of a new one (F Bass BN6) and the other was bought from a member here on TB for roughly half what I could have gotten one new (Modulus Quantum 6). So I hope you can see my point here--you can get a much higher end bass used than you can get a middle of the road or lower end bass new.
  9. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Dig. 2nd is way better. Price for one thing, and the "it's been played" factor.
  10. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL

I'm a little OCD so when I get a used bass I clean it know what I'm talking about guys...dead skin under the strings...dust here and there...cooties if you will... :p
  11. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Yup - 2nd hand is great! Way cheaper, sometimes even plays better 'cos it's been setup and all... and for those who believe that basses need to be broken in to sound better... well,they're broken in for ya :)
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am a big fan of used basses. Let somebody else take the resale hit! If I buy something used and don't like it, I can sell it for what I paid.

Plus, your $$$ go a lot further when buying used gear.

13. Interesting point. I just wonder why Americans don't take this same approach with used automobiles. Compared to the new price, used car prices are very low. This phenominon does not exist in Australia. Used cars hold their value much better.
  14. kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    every single one of my basses is second hand, not a new one among me! my guitars are a different story(new telecaster for Xmas!! ohh yeah!!)(an i got a cheap awesome acoustic for guitar class).

my jazz had fret buzzing for a while but we took it to the doctor adn now hes cured, :bassist:

i put a new pickup in my gretsch cuz it sounded like **** :bassist:

my ibanez tr-50 has worked great since the day my dad got it like 5-6 years ago :bassist:
  15. Have you ever bought a used Holden Commodore?

cars are so expensive in Oz
  16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Both of my RB5's are second-hand, and they're both perfect. But I'd never buy a second-hand bass I couldn't play first.
  17. but why two identical basses? It is not like they sound different or one is a fretless? Do you use one as a backup or something?
  18. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    In the 20 yrs that I've been playing I think I have only ever purchased 2 brand new basses. I've owned many, like many others here. I'm all for used instruments. They're usually the best deal around. :hyper:
  19. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    No one's usually passed gas while sitting on a bass. The same can't be said for the driver's seat in a used car! :D
  20. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    (never buy a used keyboard!!)