Is shifting the rear strap button a viable solution to neck dive?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BusyFingers, Jun 4, 2017.

1. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    I noticed someone did this on a jazz bass that was a bit neck heavy, and I thought it was a brilliant idea. But does it really work well, or would shifting the rear strap button an inch or inch and a half upward on the body make the bass sit weird?

Is this a typical solution, or have you found it makes the bass less comfortable in general and not worth boring a second strap button hole into the bass?

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

My G&L had two buttons on the bottom end of the bass & neither one stopped the neck dive.

The one that affects the dive is the one nearest the neck.

RSBBass, sissy kathy and lz4005 like this.
  3. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    As @Killed_by_Death said the button at the base of the body won't do much for neck dive. The strap button near the base of the neck is the fulcrum of a see-saw. You can spend ~$80 USD for tuners (Hioshot Ultralites from BassStringsOmline) to lighten the headstock (lightening the heavy load); you can move the strap button at the neck by adding an extension (moving the fulcrum); or you can move the strap to the neck like many acoustic guitars do (all but eliminating the fulcrum). To negate neck dive at the body involves adding weight to counter the weight of the neck.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. A Dunlop Straplok on the top strap button will extended the strap 1/2" further from the body.
    This will help with neck dive.

5. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Only if you shift it to some spot on the wall behind you.

6. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    Shift it to a bass that doesn't have the neck dive problem works, too.

Bob_Ross and Killed_by_Death like this.
  7. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    While browsing craigslist basses, I saw a telecaster shaped bass with a device that replaces the back plate on the bolt on neck that has a extension. I can't remember what company made it, but it was proprietary to the 3 bolt neck plate from a vintage bass that looked like a telecaster shaped body. The neck plate had a metal extension arm that stuck out to the 12th fret. On the extension was a strap button. Perhaps you can find one or make one to fit your bass if it has a bolt on neck.

8. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    My T'Bird style Spector came with the strap button on the backside at the heel of the neck. It is by far the best position to combat neck dive, however it tips the bass slightly forward and it sits slightly 'lefter' (assuming you play righty.)

A 4" strap that isn't slippery will also help combat a slight dive and better distribute the weight so it's more comfy, as well.

20170606_110402.jpg

Gravedigger Dav likes this.
  9. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Mapleglo just built a bolt on devil bass that she made an extension like that for. It looks really good.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021