1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is slapping my thing?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by fingerguy, Oct 1, 2018.

1. I feel like i have spent a lot of time practicing a technique that I rarely ever use but yeah I enjoy slap bass from time to time. Here’s a few examples I like.

2. CunniMingus

CunniMingus

Jan 5, 2018
    Rome, Italy
    I'm a technique fanatic, always been. I like repetition, I like fatigue, and I like seeying the results.
    It's like going to the gym, if you ask me. In real life, you won't use every muscle you train at the gym, but it's good to develop strenght, athleticism and flexibility.
    Bass technique is the same: you won't use all the styles/techniques every time, but it's good to cover the most common techniques and see what you like.
    I started to play bass less than a year ago and focused on the main right hand techniques (fingers, pick, slap) for a while, before deciding what to study more in deep. I'm focusing mainly on fingers and pick, it suits more my style but I'm still studying some slap.
    It's not my favourite style, but I'm sure I'll discover an entire world when I'll go deeper into it.

lancimouspitt likes this.
  3. dtsamples

dtsamples Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Wilmington, DE

scuzzy likes this.
  4. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    More of a puncher myself.

Nashrakh likes this.
  5. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    I've never been playing with anyone and thought, "I wish I could slap cause that would sound so good right here."
    You got that right, man. I've thought that about as many times I've thought "I wish I had advanced algebra skills, because I could really use them right now."

6. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO

Quinn Roberts likes this.
  7. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Latvia
    Slapping is only a technique playing your bass and having a different sound. If you like the sound -yes, put it it in you, i myself hate it.

Anhg77 likes this.
  8. dBChad

dBChad

Aug 17, 2018
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Slap is very much like advanced algebra, once you learn the skill, you start seeing where you can apply it.

You'll have to pardon my defense of high order mathematics; I hang out with all the math rockers at Riddle.

Ellery and lancimouspitt like this.
  9. caledoneus83

caledoneus83

Feb 26, 2018
    SC
    Well, chances are if you are listening to the radio, you aren't even hearing a real bass player. Programmed drums, programmed bass, quantized "fixed" guitars, autotuned vocals... ain't music grand?

lancimouspitt and socialleper like this.
  10. ZAR14

ZAR14

May 15, 2016
    Cleveland,OH
    I lile "Slap and Pop", as long as it's not overkill. Unfortunately I don't use it or practice it enough to be very good...

11. Vreten

Vreten

Sep 2, 2017
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Yves Klein - Wikipedia most certainly thought so.

12. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I think it’s worth learning to slap, you don’t have to become a master. There are enough songs with slap in it that it’s good to have that tool at your disposal.

13. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    I find slap-pop to be a useful way to make fills...um, well, pop. My band doesn't have many songs that are built solely around slap but it adds texture and novelty when used judiciously in many contexts.

If there is another way to get sound out of the instrument, why not explore it?

dBChad likes this.
  14. caledoneus83

caledoneus83

Feb 26, 2018
    SC
    Yep. That's my viewpoint. The band I'm playing in doesn't have any songs that require slap skills, but there is one song where I throw it in for part of the song just to mix it up a bit. Used judiciously, it can really emphasize a part of the song

15. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    Do I want to hear you slap? No.

Do you want to hear me slap? No.

Does anyone want to hear anyone slap? No, it’s 2018.

That’s my vote!!! :)

16. fingerguy

fingerguy

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    giphy.

dBChad and Mvilmany like this.
  17. EddiePlaysBass

EddiePlaysBass

Feb 26, 2009
    Belgium
    I usedto think pick players weren't real bassists (though I loved Bob Daisley's work with Uriah Heep... ) and never really worked on it. My drummer at the time would chuckle when he saw me take a pick, cos 3 measures in it would fall to the ground...

Then I got into a pop band and some songs required a pick sound. So I started using a pick. I became okay at it, and in my current blues band, where I play fretless, I use it on a 3rd of the songs we play. Partly cos it sounds better, partly cos I like using a pick here and there.

To me, slap is like latin/clave bass. Not something I will often (if anytime) use, but worth working on every now and then. At some point, I may end up needing or wanting it.

18. CunniMingus

CunniMingus

Jan 5, 2018
    Rome, Italy
    I see the interaction between the left and right hand (slapping/popping) movements like a mechanism. Once you master the technique it's easy to get "stuck" into more advanced rhythmic mechanisms. It's a very interesting and complex technique which attracts me a lot, but I'm covering different styles right now and I don't listen to slap bass very often.