Is smoking e-cigarettes indoors acceptable/safe?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by thiocyclist, Aug 19, 2013.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Not allowed in my workplace. So not acceptable. Still considered smoking to mgmt. In addition, we have smoke detectors throughout the building and if one sets off an alarm, the entire building must evacuate interrupting business continuity which is frowned upon big time.

2. Smell is not a reliable indicator of toxicity.

Nicotine is very toxic.

3. thiocyclist

thiocyclist

Sep 19, 2012
    I never said that, but it is a reliable indicator of... a smelly thing being there. One of my co-workers was telling me the FDA is trying to regulate the flavor chemicals in these because some of them could cause long term health problems. I don't think the FDA is as concerned about e-cigarettes without flavor additives.

4. It's toxicity is often overlooked because the rest of the crud in regular cigs was so much worse!

5. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Most drugs probably are. That's why they call them drugs.
    Now, I'm off for my morning martini.

6. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Inactive

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    I vape at work, both when I'm at my desk and when I'm working out back. Management doesn't really care so long as I'm careful to not mist up a room, which I usually don't. Typically one or two quick hits every once in a while and I've got my fix, though occasionally I will kinda puff on it like a pipe when I'm thinking about a particularly tricky problem.

7. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    I find they smell pretty much like regular cigs. Maybe a little less.

I can't see anything that puts smoke into your lungs being good.

8. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Take that shizz outside.

9. :)

10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I found it interesting that in airplanes they now announce that the use of electronic cigarrettes is prohibited. I've a feeling it won't be long before many of the no smoking signs also say no vaping.

I teach in a HS and I've had some students attempt to vape in the classroom. It's definitely a big distraction, so I don't allow it, but I have to admit I wasn't sure what to make of it first time someone did it. I'm pretty open minded, and if I were still a kid I know I'd have fought for my right to vape... but there's something that just seems so not right about it. I mean, if for no other reason, it's just a pretty ridiculous thing to do. Looks pretty ridiculous too, IMO. The world would be such a nicer place if everyone would replace their silly harmful habits and fixations with a pacifier. Sucking on a binky makes so much more sense than sucking on a cigarette, yet society doesn't allow it. We'd be crazy to do that. But intenionally breathing in poisonous smoke, or mysterious vapors is sane.

I smoked 2 1/2 - 3 packs a day from around age 14 to 30. Started smoking when I was in the 4th grade. I can't tell you how grateful I am to have been freed from that habit. Tried quitting 100s of times, and then just got lucky one day. I rarely think about smoking, but from time to time when I do I remember how at times I absolutely loved it. And it's for that reason that the idea of vaping messes with me. I'm giving vaping 10 years so the world can get a better idea of the risks of it, and if it proves to be harmless I think I'm going to pick myself up a habit. :) Or maybe by that time I'll get over caring what people think and I'll start sucking on a pacifier. I don't drink anymore, I don't smoke anymore, I don't eat red meat anymore or processed sugar... don't even play video games anymore... got a perfect bill of health from a very complete and thorough physical I just took, and I'm in the best physical shape of my life, but I wouldn't mind a new outlet. May have to make that outlet writing music till I find something else....

Why are good habits hard to start and bad habits easy?

11. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

And again, nothing thoughtful to add.

Edit: ^^^

12. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Nerve. Just take up drinking too much coffee and you'll be fine. You don't want no part of this nicotine ****. http://youtu.be/IWVfSs__43o

13. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Who, me?

14. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Hey thanks! I forgot about coffee. :hyper::hyper::hyper:

Doin OK with that one. Just finished my first cup!

15. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I dont think a smoke detector will be set off by the vapors an e-cig puts out, being that its not smoke.

They dont smell like regular cigarettes at all.
    And they dont put smoke into your lungs, its vapor.

16. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    Nope...

It's "I need a justification for my job" thing.

If we don't "need" any new laws, why would we "need" full time lawmakers?

I'd say 99.999% of all new laws fall in to this category of "need".

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Can't take that chance. I accidently set off the alarm, a few years ago, while I was spray painting a stained ceiling tile. The sensors (not your standard smoke detector) are pretty sensitive in my building.

18. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Oh, Im not recommending you take the chance.
    While people vaping indoors or in areas that a person wouldnt otherwise be allowed to smoke doesnt bother me personally, I could see it eventually being regulated to normal smoking areas only.

19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Which is exactly where my company (Large wireless phone company) designated it per their policy. I work in Facilty Mgmt. and a couple weeks ago was told to put up signs, stating so, throughout the building. The signs were already there but were updated to include e-sigs and vaping.

20. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Afaik, smoke detectors "count" particles in the air, not actually detect smoke.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021