Is smoking e-cigarettes indoors acceptable/safe?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by thiocyclist, Aug 19, 2013.

1. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I saw a good example of this a while back. I was standing outside of a restaurant that was open to the street. There was a guy in the middle of the restaurant, kicking back after his meal who whipped out an e-cig and started huffing these huge clouds of vapor around his head, like it was a blunt or something. Just total "look-at-me" behavior. The people around him were completely dumbfounded. Everybody had stopped what they were doing and turned around to stare at him. It looked like nobody even knew what to do. He was definitely the kind of guy who would have insisted that he was completely within his rights to stink the place up with his cherry cola juice because there wasn't a NO VAPING sign in the restaurant. Thankfully, I didn't have to deal with that guy, but you know there are thousands like him.

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Thats kind of how I felt when I saw the lady vaping in line at the grocery store... a bit dumbfounded.The concerts I was at I can understand, being that there are usually people smoking pot indoors at the Primus show.
    But inside the grocery store? Really? You cant wait til you get outside or into your car?

3. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Inactive

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    When I used to smoke, I would almost always have a cigarette and go to the bathroom immediately after eating. Now that I vape, I combine the two. I usually excuse myself to the bathroom, take a quick hit or two discreetly whilst peeing, and then return to the table.

The people who vape like what bolophonic mentioned are, in my opinion, ass hats.

4. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Maybe so, I'm totally ignorant about the stuff. I know it smelled really bad though unlike what most people here are saying, that it had little or no smell in their experience. I'm very familiar with what cigarettes smell like having grown up in a house with parents that smoked and this didn't smell exactly like that. A little bit similar, but different. It was a very distinct smell kind of like a cross between a regular cigarette smell and some kind of chemical smell, if that makes any sense. Repulsed the heck out of me, I know that much.

5. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Most tobacco flavors are disgusting to me. Wife says they smell bad too. DR pepper is great and smells good. Cappuccino smells like Tim Horton's coffee is in the room one lady told me.

I can see how many might hate the smell of some vapes. I am careful about where I do it. These days you can't smoke on a patio restaurant/ bar but I will vape there. It's outdoors!

6. "All substances are poisons; there is none which is not a poison. The right dose differentiates a poison and a remedy."

-Paracelsus

7. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
  8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Vape has been lumped in with the prohibited tobacco products at my place of employment. I've been hearing that vape/e-cigs are being banned in a lot of places around California.

9. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    I haven't seen any vaping here in Eugene. None. And I can't imagine vaping getting a pass here. Smoking is prohibited in all public buildings, workplaces, restaurants, and bars.

10. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    My only gripe so far with the practice is that exposes my young children to the behavior of smoking in a way that regular cigarettes no longer can.

How are a three year old and a five year old supposed to know there is a difference between the dude puffing a cig at the park and someone vaping in a mall?

It all looks like smoking to them. Not that I am worried either will ever smoke after grandpa lost his lip and tongue to cancer. He'd kill 'em first.

11. Not saying you should test it, and I am in no way a smoke alarm expert, but it is pretty much equivalent to boiling a kettle of water in the break room, except much less so.

12. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I played a production of The Wiz that was interrupted not once, but twice by fire alarms because they had the fog machines cranked to 11. Fog machines use propylene glycol to generate the fog...same stuff they use in e-liquid.

Regarding the OP, I'm beginning to see more and more people vaping indoors. I vape but try not to do it in indoor public places since it might freak people out...of course, unless they see it, they'd probably never know.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

And trust me, the steam would probably set off the alarm! Company policy is that there is no smoking nor cooking within the confines of the building and any type of cooking has to be done in the cafeteria area only or outside the building.

They don't want to take that chance! Side Bar: We have issues with the smokers as it is. They totally ignore the cigarette urns in the designate smoking areas and throw the butts all over the alcoves and landscaping. Looks absolutely horrible! I have a video of it I'll upload. I've never seen so many cig butts in my life.

15. Re- Smoke detectors, the vapour shouldn't rise, at least the e-cigs I've seen it doesn't tend to rise like the smoke from cigs.

16. thiocyclist

thiocyclist

Sep 19, 2012
    Yeah cigarette butt litter is some of the worst. Another pro for e-cigs (and not smoking).

17. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I havent seen it. Ive just seen lots of people vaping where smokers wouldnt dare dream of lighting up.

It was kind of fun. Especially as an ex-smoker that doesnt like to get up peoples behinds about what they can and cant do.

18. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I don't believe vaping will set off smoke detectors. I'm sitting directly underneath one vaping away, and have done it many times.

19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Depends on the type of detector. The ones in my building are not your standard consumer smoke detectors. We have a lot of sensitive equipment and zero chances are being taken. Mgmt. is just not having it. In addition, they are tied into Fire Control panels. Not only will the building be evacuated, the Fire Department will show up. False alarms cost the company money!

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021