Is smoking e-cigarettes indoors acceptable/safe?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by thiocyclist, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    These aren't consumer either. These have sprinklers.

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Smoke detectors with sprinklers?? :confused:

Sprinklers are set off from the detection of high heat.

3. Sprinkler systems tend to be linked to heat detectors (either electronic or by means of the thin glass stoppery thingy).

Smoke detectors are generally too sensitive to have attached to a sprinkler system, especially seeing even minor works can set them off very easily!

4. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    OK, I thought they were smoke detectors; evidently they are not.

5. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Obviously this is one of those extremely rare occasions when I don't know what that hell I'm talking about.

6. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    I spoke too soon. Tonight the smell is back! He was doing so well too. It had been a few months. :meh::(:rolleyes:

7. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Either you have you the most sensitive nose imaginable, or he's smoking something else.

8. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Tobacco was "safe" until it wasn't. Why should I breathe aerosols of unknown organic compounds? Take 'em outdoors.

9. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Nah, I'm also familiar with "something else". It's not that. I don't need a sensitive nose to smell it. The stuff reeks!

10. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

I ask everyone if they smell mine, they have to stop and think about it and get a light scent. His juice must be some of the disgusting crap I tried when I started. There was a couple flavors my wife didn't like the smell of and she Still smokes analogs.

Trust me, it doesn't all smell. Don't believe me if you don't want but them you have only one experience to go off of, right?

11. That's my biggest concern with these, the relative unknown of what people are actually taking with these. Especially with folks being daft enough to buy stuff like that on eBay :eyebrow:

That and the horrific "Pineapple" concoction my friend had.

12. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    I've been caught in the random cloud of nasty fruity smelling air a few times and it's of such short duration it's not that much different than catching the random smell of methane pumped from a nearby human.

That said, I'd have no desire to spend any time in a closed room so full of exhaled vapor that the smell couldn't be escaped without leaving the room.

Oddly enough, tobacco smoke doesn't bother me unless it's thick enough to cut and even then it's not that big a deal unless I'm trapped there. I think my fear of the vapor clouds is that of the unknown, what's in that stuff?

Either way, it has yet to be an issue I've had to deal with since comparatively few people around here have switched from coffin nails to electronic vapor generators.

So far the e cig users must be going outside with the real smokers because I can't recall seeing anyone vaping in the room(s) where we've played.

I was in GC yesterday to pick up some strings and the guy behind the gadget counter had an e cig he was using, but he stuck it in his pocket when I approached the counter.

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I was under the impression that it is against the law to smoke in a commercial establishment and that includes vaping. It's still smoking. It's not a pass to smoke indoors just because it's not a 'real' cigarette!

14. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    Found this here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_cigarette

The emphasis is mine.

"A preliminary analysis of e-cigarette cartridges by the FDA identified that some contain tobacco-specific nitrosamines (TSNAs), known cancer-causing agents.[9][10] The FDA's analysis also detected diethylene glycol, a poisonous and hygroscopic liquid, in one of the cartridges manufactured by Smoking Everywhere and nicotine in some cartridges claimed to be nicotine-free.[9][10] Further concerns were raised over inconsistent amounts of nicotine delivered when drawing on the device.[11] In some e-cigarettes, "Tobacco-specific impurities suspected of being harmful to humans – anabasine, myosmine, and ß-nicotyrine – were detected in a majority of the samples tested." It is not clear if these chemicals were detectable in exhaled vapour.[12] The UK National Health Service noted that the toxic chemicals found by the FDA were at levels one-thousandth that of cigarette smoke, and that while there is no certainty that these small traces are harmless, initial test results are reassuring.[13] "

I vape at work since I don't smoke indoors and haven't in years. None of my coworkers have complained of any smell, and there's evidence that the gasses given off by the particle board store fixtures and the glue in the carpet put out more carcinogens than my ecig.

The only reasons I don't walk around with it dangling from my mouth are the expense and our customers who are not yet familiar with ecigs freaking out.

Honestly, some of the reactions I see here to ecigs alarms me. An entire industry popped up that created a product that is (fruit juice flavoring aside, no experience with those) significantly less harmful, possibly harmless, and won't cling to your clothes, drapes, furniture, etc so that smokers and non-smokers can once again live in peace; the perfect compromise. And yet, some folks STILL aren't happy and apparently never will be.

15. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    How can it be smoking when there is no smoke involved?

16. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    The guy puffing away in front of me at the Flaming Lips show, as well as the woman I mentioned earlier in line at the grocery store, neither of them put out any noticeable odors.

Its not still smoking. As you said, its vaping.
    Smoking puts out smoke, vaping puts out vapor.
    However, I was under the same impression in regards to where one may partake, however Ive seen numerous people vape where one wouldnt dare smoke a cigarette.

17. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Thanks for the links Walter, I couldn't find those but I read them over a year ago and was trying to find them

It AIN'T SMOKE! It's 1000 times less harmful.

Non smokers guve no quarter in a free society. They want to run it. Well you did it with analogs which I agree with. But it didn't stop me from inhaling the crap that big business freely marketed when I was a child. Now I have stopped with an alternative and the fascists want to take that away too.

18. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

And: for those of you in Cali, do this. Drive to Mojave and get a motel. Get up early and drive west to Bakersfield as the sun comes up. When you round the mountains and first see the valley you will be appalled by the yellow pall of smog. Now your fruits and vegetables are breathing that same air, storing god knows what in their flesh.

And you're worried about water vapor and a little nicotine?

Nicotine? Guess what? You're eating it. Don't try and tell me that it isn't entering the flesh of produce you eat when used as a pesticide in, gasp, organic farms!
    http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopExt/4DMG/VegFruit/organic.htm

19. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    I recently (Father's Day) switched to vaping. I'm all but weaned from the analogs now (to the tune of a few pulls here and there). Since I was a cigar smoker, I was exiled to the garage or garden to smoke. Now 'er indoors has no issue with me vaping in the house.

She's a militant ex-smoker too.

I don't vape in the office. I do in the car.
    I'm actually noticing a reduction in cravings too. I'm not hitting the e-cig very often at all.

20. Batmensch

Batmensch

Jul 4, 2010
    Media, PA.
    Exactly. Smoke and water vapor are two entirely different substances, water vapor being significantly less harmful (the already mentioned 1000 times less harmful) than smoke, even with additives.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021