Is smoking e-cigarettes indoors acceptable/safe?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by thiocyclist, Aug 19, 2013.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I know, technically' it's not smoking because it doesn't out out 'smoke' but it's just not gonna happen in my workplace! It still puts out a 'vapor' and also it's the 'act' of smoking that is also not allowed in the building. Not my rules.

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I dont think its allowed in my workplace either.
    But then, I think theyre all stuck on analogs.
    Theres a little gossip circle of smokers outside every break.

3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Yeah, I want to ban tea has anyone done studies to ensure that chamomile is not toxic? Is the steam harmful?

Is it safe to take saw palmetto? Ginkgo? Have studies been done? Yes they have you gotta watch ginkgo according to FDA. Yet it's been used for millennia.

You can study and outlaw to the very death of nicotine addicts stuck on analogs or just relax and let us help ourselves.

4. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Ah, the good ol' FDA.
    Bung 'em enough dough and they'll approve anything.
    Piss 'em off enough, and they'll ban air.

5. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

That's funny!

6. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    In the confines of a privately owned business, they can ban whatever the hell they want as far as I'm concerned. My post was more oriented towards the weird behavior exhibited by state and local governments. Further down in the same wiki article I posted there's a rundown of state and federal level restrictions on vaping. One of the reasons the little suckers are so successful is that people can get their fix in places and times they previously couldn't, not because so many were looking for a way to quit. If governments want to legislate that away, I believe they'd be encouraging smokers to just continue as they are rather than trying a more socially acceptable alternative.

Again, I'm all for theaters, restaurants, airlines, etc deciding for themselves whether smoking, vaping, public belching, foul language, or whatever questionable behavior you can imagine are acceptable behaviors. The public outcry followed by blanket legislation that treats vaping as smoking concerns me, however.

7. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Everyone I know who switched to vaping, did it to get off of cigarettes; myself included.
    I tried and tried to quit cigs. Now I've been off them for over two years.

8. thiocyclist

thiocyclist

Sep 19, 2012
    Direct link is preferred. http://www.fda.gov/downloads/drugs/Scienceresearch/UCM173250.pdf Interestingly this study detected a lot more nitrosamines in one brand of e-cig than another, so the way Wikipedia words it is a bit unclear/misleading.

Besides, we already covered this topic. Reputable researchers did show some toxicants are between two and three orders of mag lower. Chances are good e-cigarettes are definitely safer, although the flavor additives have not been evaluated as closely yet. (Neither has smoking food coloring or vanilla extract for that matter.)

The question is, is it okay to "vape" indoors? While it certainly does seem a lot safer than "analog cigarettes" I side with those who are skeptical that we really know whether it's safe or not at this point.

9. thiocyclist

thiocyclist

Sep 19, 2012
    If you have to vape outside you'll die? :rolleyes:

Comparing e-cigarettes to tea is kind of ridiculous but, as a matter of fact, there are tons of studies on the health benefits and toxicity of teas and their substituent compounds.

All this resistance to some healthy skepticism, not even so much over the e-cigarettes themselves but the pointless flavors that get added (at least from my end)! Is this just a collective nic fit or what? Studies come out for and against coffee all the time but no one really panics over it.

10. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Yep. Smoking vs. vaping aside, I trust 'em about as far as I could throw 'em on any issue.

:bassist:

11. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    No one's trying to ban coffee drinking in public places.

12. Nah, but you'll have to pay $5 cover to get back into the bar in Roseville according to that other thread.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021