Is society tolerante of clinical depression ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Dec 29, 2007.

1. I've been battling with a anxiety disorder that caused me to fall into depression for over two years ... I just asked for proper help in May, started taking meds in July and I can't believe I didn't ask for help earlier; My Psychiatrist recently lowered my dosage, and I'm very optimistic that sooner or later I'll stop taking them. And no .. society here isn't tolerante of clinical depression and other mental illness.

2. - the SG's comments don't address this criticism at all. the comments simply point out that mental illness, like any other illness, is not an all or nothing condition. the criteria demarcating health from illness, therefore, shift with our medical knowledge. this doesn't mean that the term is being used too broadly, it means it's being used to the best of our current ability given our knowledge at this time - and it applies to all uses of the term "illness," not just mental. -

- the only "benefit" of a diagnosis that you've identified is alleged relief from responsibility (which wouldn't really be a material benefit so much as a psychological one). this is partly correct and partly incorrect. diagnosis does provide relief (for the patient and for parents), but the relief is that of having made the unknown known and therefore manageable.

- regarding responsibility, however, once one knows what the condition is one has the responsibility to deal with it in the best way possible. you make it sound like a diagnosis comes with a bumper sticker that says: "hey, since i know what's wrong with me, i don't have to do anything about it." even if that were true (which it certainly isn't), i can't see how that would count as a benefit to anyone.

- while i understand your point that a diagnosis is sometimes made for inappropriate or inadequate reasons, i don't see that this precludes the ultimate usefulness of a diagnosis. if this form of reasoning is to be taken as valid, then anything that has the potential for being misused (which is pretty much everything) would be subject to your same assessment. and any statement that applies to everything doesn't tell us much about anything.

3. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    I tolerate them very well, and most folk around here seem to be pretty good with it, like it's just a normal part of life. I know I see things the low way more often than not, and have to really dig to find my happiness, so I guess on some level I sympathize with them.

4. Justin Beck

Justin Beck

Jan 27, 2007
    Arlington, TX
    I think it is misunderstood more than anything. I have suffered from major depression for half of my life. I used to look forward to going home to get away from people so I could be the way I was and not get the "just cheer up" or "it'll get better, just push through it" remarks.

I believe that with proper counseling and other treatments, medications not withstanding, it can be overcome. My main problem with counseling, though, was that most of the Pshcololgists in my area don't know how to work with their patients. They take notes and give you all of the comments I mentioned earlier, keep in mind that this is in my experience.

One thing that has been mentioned that I think is important is that Major Depression in it's true form is not just sadness, it can cause symptoms like delusions, insomnia, paranoia, anxiety, fear of leaving home, ect.

Depression has more to do with helpless feelings than just being sad if you are just looking for mood indicators.

This is of course all in my opinion from my personal experience with it and my family's battle with it, past and present

Justin

5. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    meh, I think the reason most people think that the depressed should "snap out of it" is the rise of the emo kids, who cry becase somebody hurt their feelings.

6. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I'm only intolerant of the mopey whiny ones. ;)

7. Shovelbone

Shovelbone Gold Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Yonderville Georgia
    If the drug companies ever come up with a medication that addresses G.A.S then they could really make a killing!!!
    Just think about the commercials that you would see on the TV. Victor Wooten doing commercials for Pfizer and Flea for Merck Pharmaceutical!
    Finally there is hope for those of us who suffer from this debilitating afflication!:hyper:

8. I cant say that much about clinical depression, I try to be a good guy to anyone that comes to me to say that they are feeling down.

One a side note, It shocks me how much a beautiful science like brain bio-chemical investigation has generated so much bad thoughts on people. I mean, it is really a beautiful science, amazing.

9. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Inactive

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I suffer from severe depression, but I don't take any pills. They cost too much and I don't like doctors. The "illegal" drugs I use work just as well, if not better.

10. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

I'm a big believer in the usefulness of diagnosing maladies. My criticism is restricted to those who misuse and abuse diagnoses.

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

That would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021