Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is something wrong w/ my bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AvedisdrummerA, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Okay, I'm not sure if this is normal or not since I'm fairly new to bass, so I thought I would ask. When I have my lowest string tuned to E if I play it open alot of times I'll get this clicking sound. I think I've figured out what the problem is, I think my string is making contact with the first fret, but what do I do about it? Is there a way to fix this? Also, when I tune down to low D I have the same problem somewhat, except it's with most of the lower frets, not just open. Any ideas or suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. Please e-mail me at jdrum10j@hotmail.com or feel free to IM me at dmbdrummer10 - Thanks.

2. take bass to store and ask to have it "SET UP" you should have it set up with new strings. good set up = good bass = easy to play bass = better bass player.

your truss rod may need a little turn: righty tighty 1/8 rotation.

or your bidge, if adjustable, may need to come up a little.

or your nut, the little thing that holds the open notes, may be worn out and making the E string sit too low. those are easily relplacable unless you have something exotic.

that is why you need somebody who knows what he is doing.

3. i'm also fairly new to bass and get this same "clicking" every-so-often on my A-string, open and fretted... I think that it is caused by the string shifting a little bit on the bridge. Just give the string a slight nudge where it contacts the bridge, thus un-shifting it. this seems to work (temporarily) for me, but i'm not sure if it is the core of the problem. I'll be changing my strings and such soon, and will investigate further..

4. yeah...that shouldn't happen.

5. Brat

Brat

Jun 4, 2004
    NW Indiana.
    Raise the bridge. Should do the trick.

6. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    the action on your bass is probably too low on your bass, In case you don't know...action is teh term used to state how much room is in between the frets and the strings. The harder you pluck teh strings the more of teh "clicking sound" you will most likely hear. To cure this you can either raise the action of play softer.

7. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    beat me by 2 secs...haha