Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is something wrong with me?? (Fender Issue)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Hey guys. I'm just checking to see if I'm the only one that has had this experience. Let me preface this by saying I'm in NO WAY knocking Fender Jazz basses..

Everytime I go into a store, I try out a Fender Jazz (American, MIM, whatever I can find). Everytime, its the same experience. They just dont feel right to me. I dont know if all of them have had consistantly bad setups or what. But, I have not found/played one that gave me that "Wow" impression. The weird thing is, I have an SX Jazz and I LOVE playing it (I actually have been playing it more than my Modulus Q6 lately).. The only fender I have played that sticks out in my mind is Marcus Miller.

I'm not saying there arent good Fenders out there because I'm sure there is. Otherwise, there wouldnt be soo many people owning them. I was just curious if anyone else has had the same experience.

2. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Hum..i think maybe you only test MIM Fenders,try a American Deluxe,they kick any bass,including the imitators Jazzes.

3. Nope, tried them all. American Deluxe, MIM, even played a few Japs..

Maybe I just suck :( 15 years of playing down the drain. The ONLY excuse I can see is since Jazzes are a bass standard, that everyone goes into the shop and plays the HECK out of them (dead strings, too many crusty fingers on them)

4. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    yeah right,i noticed the same situation in the local music stores.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    They're just not properly maintained. I've noticed this many a times.

6. Thats kind of what I have figured. Unfortunatly, thats one of the reasons why I havent bought a Fender Jazz though. To me, a new fender jazz in a store might was well be called used. When I got my SX, obviously, it was brand new.. Maybe thats the difference.

Who knows? It also could be a mental thing too..

7. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Perhaps they just aren't for you. Not every jazz bass is the same. Hell, I bought a Warwick FNA Jazzman 5 string and turned around and sold it not 6 months later because I could not get used to the baseball bat-like neck. To each his own. Don't feel left out or anything. You just know what you like which is more then what some of us can say.

8. elwood

elwood there is no spoo

Jul 25, 2001
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    I agree. I have the same reaction to Fenders, and I have tried hard to find one I like. I always end up going for thin necks and flat FBs. And that's just not what Fender seems to do.

9. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    If you put an SX bass on the wall next to any kind of Fender the Fender will be picked 8 out of 10 times, only a nice color or sunburst on the SX would make someone choose that bass over a Fender Hanging next to it. Most begining bass players want Fenders becuase Fenders are the industry standard and work in all situations. Some are likely to pick up something else but somewhere along the line they WILL get a P or a jazz. Basses that hang on walls get abused by little grubby hands, climate and humldity changes. You can't judge any bass that hangs on the wall and those basses are (or should be) for display purporses.
    Every Fender I have bought new was set up perfect from the factory.

10. pjleo

pjleo

May 27, 2003
    del valley
    Just recently purchased a fender american p bass off the wall from guitar center. Set up was great. It may be the first time I ever purchased a new bass [actually traded a jazz custom shop relic bass] without adjusting action, bridge, neck alignment, or something.
    Only thing I did was to put flatwounds on.
    It is now my main bass. Guess everyone gets lucky sometime.

11. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    shhh the king talk about Fenders..he love Fenders like me....... :hyper:

12. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    It's because your a P-Bass guy and not a Jazz guy. : :D