1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is something wrong with my bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SquierBender, May 9, 2010.

1. SquierBender

SquierBender

Oct 22, 2009
    The action on my SX fretless seems high.
    When I put my index finger on the fretboard, the B string fits under my nail ( I have small hands, think of a thirteen year olds hands ). I was to lazy to take measurements, thoughts? :help:

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I think you need to get less lazy, read all the stickies on how to do setups, get some basic tools and set the action to whatever you prefer.

3. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Ditto, that!

4. SquierBender

SquierBender

Oct 22, 2009
    Ok, my bad. that is as low as I can get it!

5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    You should learn how to adjust the truss rod and the bridge.

6. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    Just a quick reminder; under the CUP we're not allowed to recommend ourselves for setup and repair services.

7. Prester Dilly

Prester Dilly

Jul 9, 2009
    Oregon
    Try adjusting the truss rod. If that doesn't work, it could be a bad neck angle in general.

8. SquierBender

SquierBender

Oct 22, 2009
    What do you mean?

9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Rather than messing with the truss rod without understanding what you're doing, I would again recommend that you read the stickies at the top of the forum to learn more about setup. This info will really help you work through the setup you want.

10. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    Did anyone? I don't see that--was a post deleted?

11. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    Rather than shooting in the dark....

12. SquierBender

SquierBender

Oct 22, 2009
    Maybe I failed to make this clear, I know basic setup. if Prester Dilly meant I have a issue that the truss rod could fix, I misunderstud that ( I am a bad speller ).
    However my neck looks fine from that prospective.
    What is the normal action height for a fretless? Is this something that a luthier could fix?
    Keep in mind i am very calm, and I am not recomending myself for setup and repair servicies if you were speaking to me, Joshua.

13. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Can you take some real string-height measurements? I can't tell what size your fingers are. Trying to help is like you saying "My car makes a noise, but I didn't bother listening for what kind of noise it is."

Measure the distance between the fretboard and the string bottom at the 12th fret. For all strings.

Then measure the neck relief. Fret the string at the first and 12th "fret" and measure near the 5-7th fret. This will be a very small distance. Is it as much as a credit card?

14. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    Yes, someone simply unfamiliar with the CUP. No big deal, just not allowed.

I appreciate the clarification, but it was someone else whose post I deleted. Again, no big deal, just not allowed.

And I would recommend the Fender setup guide in the sticky thread at the top. It's my fave, and if you follow it closely it might be able to get you closer to where you want. I'd start by measuring relief and seeing where that is...