1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is something wrong with the bridge on my Squier Bronco?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ilikejazzbass, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Ilikejazzbass

Ilikejazzbass Inactive

Feb 20, 2010
    I let a friend borrow it and when I got it back it was all out of whack. It was really crooked and I adjusted it. I saw pics on guitar center and it looks like one piece is higher than the second piece no matter what, but mine looks kind of crooked. The intonation is fine. Its not perfect, but I don't expect it to be on such an inexpensive bass. I still like the tone. I'm one of those guys who can pick up a $50 dollar bass and get a decent tone out of it, at least in my opinion. Anyway heres a pic of the bridge. What do you guys think. Now I'm not a Luther or however you say it. I don't really care if everything is in perfect working order because I play rock n roll and grunge and blues and I think imperfections add a little soul and funk to the sound, but I don't want it to be destroyed or seriously damaged. Anyway tell me what you think.

Attached Files:

2. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    Loosen the D and G strings to floppiness. You should be able to pull it back over/around the other saddle so long as the screw isn't bent.

3. Ilikejazzbass

Ilikejazzbass Inactive

Feb 20, 2010
    Okay, but I think one portion is supposed to be higher than the other portion. I saw other pictures of this bass and it looks like its supposed to be that way, but it seems kind of off in a sense. Know what I mean?

4. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    Higher as in what? They should be quite close to parallel. It's a 2 saddle design so it doesn't allow for precise intonation like independent saddles.

5. Ilikejazzbass

Ilikejazzbass Inactive

Feb 20, 2010
    Like the G and D side is closer to the headstock than the A and E.

6. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    HAHAHA. I made a silly mistake. I mixed up the perspective. I meant loosen the A and E and pull that one out from behind the other! Excuse me for that! That's the one I was referring to straightening.

Where the saddles fall... that's for approximate intonation. Which is closer to the headstock doesn't matter if intonation is good.

7. not_jason

not_jason

Aug 4, 2004
    Maine
    Like christw says, just loosen the strings and it should budge back easily enough. Being a 2-saddle bridge, it might be impossible to perfectly intonate it on all four strings, but you should be able to find a happy medium.

incidentally, is that a lefty bronco or does your camera just flip the pictures?

8. Ilikejazzbass

Ilikejazzbass Inactive

Feb 20, 2010
    Thanks for the advice. I set it to flip the pictures so I dont look as ugly. When its the other way around my face looks all crooked and weird. I like it to look like a mirror.

9. Ilikejazzbass

Ilikejazzbass Inactive

Feb 20, 2010
    Wow that was simple. It just straightened out. Thanks alot man. I appreciate it.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020