1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is Squier good for the price?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by facepalmmaster, Jan 4, 2012.

1. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

Jan 4, 2012
    So I've always been interested in bass, so over the holidays i received a Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Special (about $190 i believe), and I was the one who picked it out. Before anyone says anything too bad, though, I had a sort of limit, my parents wouldn't spend over 200 on the actual bass, and I would get an amp with my own money. I had very little choice at that kind of money, it was a dean bass, which i've heard aren't great, one of the worse affinity basses, or the ibanez lower end models. Did I choose the best one? Are Squiers generally good?

2. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    U can rest in peace and enjoy your Squier Vintage modified jaguar special !!! I have one, along with Lakland and Rickenbacker basses too !!! I tell you, that Squier bass has nothing to be ashamed of compared to my other high end gear, of course, for the price point !!! Enjoy !

3. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Great pick. Great bass.

4. jwj1701

jwj1701

Nov 17, 2011
    Lexington KY
    For 190 bucks yes. To learn on they are a deal. The classic vibes or vintage modified's are usually just fine. Don't let anyone give you grief about a Squier bass. Enjoy your new jag, practice a lot, and if i can recommend a really good resource outside of lessons, Online Bass Lessons at StudyBass.com will be very helpful at home.

5. NightTripper

NightTripper

Oct 20, 2011
    Squier is good stuff for its price and often in general. Welcome to the world of bass. :hyper: :bassist:

6. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    Yes

Tabdog

7. I think the Squier Classic Vibe series is the best bang for the buck right now. The quality is better than the Squier Vintage Modified series too.

I am absolutly impressed with the Classic Vibe guitars and basses.
    My CV Jazz Bass rocks!

8. You did great!

9. Assumptive and drawing to it's own conclusion.

They are different in design, neck radius and finish. That's all.

Oh yeah - the fret wires are different sizes too.

10. I'd love to get a Squier Jaguar Bass, and I say that as someone who owns a 1995 Warwick Thumb! Its a great selection, have fun playing it!

11. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    To answer the question asked....

the VM series and Classic Vibe series are VERY good for the price!!!

I play US Laklands and have considered a few VM series recently......

IMHO some that I have played have been BETTER than the MIM counterparts!!!

no shame in playing these.....NOT to say that...(in genral) Squires are great....just that they have taken particular care with the VM and CV series....

good call! enjoy the bass!!!

12. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Kansas City
    My Squier Deluxe Jazz V is my main bass right now. Occasionally I bring out the Warwick, but I've really been enjoying the Squier ...

13. Im the same as you. My Deluxe Jazz V is my go to bass. I occasionally bring out my MTDs, but the Squire is my battle axe. Ive upgraded the electronics on it. Seymour Duncan SJB-5 pickups, Aguilar obp-3 preamp. Bad Ass bridge, All black hardware, Aurora black coated strings - Darth Vadar. I like it so much i just acquired a companion to to it for a nice price. Its getting a Babicz bridge, Nordstrand Fat Stacks, bass Mods BEQ12 preamp with mid selector and series/parallel selector, Aurora black coated strings, all black hardware etc - this will be the stormtrooper.
    Dont get me wrong, they are fine and do the trick stock. I usd the stock electronics for about 1.5 years before I upgraded. These and many other Squiers are excellent basses for the money. I have no shame proudly playing mine on stage. Ive been practicing and performing with it for 2 years straight and get many compliments!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Every single Squier CV Jazz Bass I've tried, and I have played about a dozen of them, have had nice straight necks and the frets didn't poke out the sides of the neck. The pickups in those VM Jazz Basses are crappy sounding and harsh. The tuning machines on those VM basses aren't as nice either.

Yeah, the CV Jazz Bass fret wire is smaller, my only complaint, but that is about it. There's a reason the CV Jazz Basses are just a bit more expensive than the VM Jazz Basses....they are better.

No matter what bass you get, they both have cheap pots.
    A few mods and a good setup and they could both be pretty good, but the CV series (at least all of the basses I've seen) have all been way better all-around than the VM series.
    I know, VM's have a black finish and "pearl" block inlays...... OR those crappy looking painted in black blocks. Ugh.

To each their own, but in terms of overall quality I give the edge (and not a small one) to the CV series.

15. @ 4001

Please then go to your owner's manual and post the part numbers for the tuners here. OK?

Just asking.

16. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

The Squier VM Jag is a very nice bass, or I wouldn't have bought one.

Put a set of Labella Deep Talkin' flats on it and you're in bidness.

17. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Forget the "for the price".
    Squiers are good basses and guitars.

18. I am very impressed with my VM Jazz, but will probably get a CV precision over a VM precision because of the finish options :bassist:

19. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    +1

20. C'mon, man, I work at a music store as a setup tech (not GC) and have seen both the VM and CV series. I have visited 2 GC stores and a Sam Ash and tried all of their CV's and VM's. The CV's are just a better quality bass.
    Out of the box the CV series require less tweaking than the VM series.
    To each their own, you too, but I am just trying to answer the original question and give my experienced opinion. That's all.