Is SVP-PRO exactly the preamp of SVT-3PRO

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wounded Paw, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Any differences in the preamp section of the SVT-3PRO to the SVP-PRO?
    Any advantages of going SVT-3PRO rather than SVP-PRO + power amp?
    I can try out an SVT-3PRO now to help me decide whether I want a SVP-PRO later so I'd like to know in advance if there will be noticeable differences in sound between the two.
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

They're very similar but not identical. The 3Pro has a "Tube Gain" control which is subtle compared to the "Drive" control on the SVP-Pro. The Drive control offers more radical distortion.
  3. Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    Components are the same but the svp pro preamp has more tubes inside (I think it s five tubes and 4 in the svt3pro).
    The drive control is aslo a little bit different.
  4. Will an SVT-3Pro give me a good idea of what the SVP-PRO would sound like? I'm quite interested in the drive and tube gain features.
  5. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I'm assuming the 2 preamps are quite different, because the SVP-PRO is mostly linked to the preamp of the SVT2-Pro.
  6. Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    svt2pro is exactly the same preamp sound.If you plug the svp-pro in a solid state power amp, you will approach a svt3pro like tone. :bassist:
  7. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I was just reading the owners manual to the SVP-Pro, in PDF form... You can get it right from the ampeg site...

It says right in the owners manual, that the SVP-Pro is the pre-amp from an SVT2Pro...
  8. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    And there you have it...

Plus... remember that the 3Pro has 2 driver tubes that also affect the tone.
  9. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    3 Pro also has five tubes-four 12AX7s and one 12AU7. I don't like the fact that the SVP Pro doesn't offer a ground lift.