Is SVT truly King?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Is the All Tube SVT truly the nastiest head one can buy? Or is their a rival of the classic?

adj. nas·ti·er, nas·ti·est

- a. Disgustingly dirty
    - b. Growly Intensive
    2. Aggressive; Gritty
    - a. Ballsy
    - b. Intensely in your face Grind

[Greek nastos, Grind n' Growl ; see nastic + -y2.]
  2. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    As much as I like my Mesa 400+ for an all tube head, for a driving rock and roll bass amp, I don't know anything that is better than an SVT.
  3. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

cheezy wisdom , the man speaks the truth ...
  4. for rock the SVT is the amp to have, thats why its still about :p
  5. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Trace Elliot V8 :bassist:

it has ballsy grit! :D
  6. there were more SVT's made than V8's, so there :p
  7. If you want a disgustingly in your face intensive dirty grindin' whore of an amp go with a traynor. Super custom special or yba200 take your pick.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...none of this smutty whore' talk of disgusting dirty amps is helping my affliction or GAS right now...uuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

9. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Ampeg is a classic that will allways have its place. SVT heads and 8x10 ampeg cabs can usually be found in any top notch studio. The ampeg SVT is the sound of Rock N Roll, period.
  10. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Can't beat an SVT. Well you could, but you'd probably hurt yourself.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...I'm talkin' early 70's SVT here...had/played some 20yrs ago that I shoulda kept/bought for DIRT!...If I'd known then what I know/love now...blah blah blah...

PS: I had TWO SVT's AND an early 60's Les Paul that needed work so I sold them for NOTHING compared to todays prices...kick myself daily over that & many other things... didn't know I'd be alive this long, LOL...
  12. :D :D
  13. Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    i think the new svt's are junk. something happened to ampeg between 1995 and 2000. i had a svt classic i bought in the late 80s and it was the sh*t. i had to sell it a couple years later. i was looking for a new amp 2 years ago and bought a new svt classic and it sounded nothing like my old one. i took it back to gc and got another one thinking it was just that one head and the second one sounded even worst. it seems like amgeg just sounds like overpriced crates trying to sound like there old amps. i ended up going with ashdown abm500. sounds great. not as great as my old svt but smokes new ampeg stuff. all IMO!
  14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Well, the vintage SVT has my vote too. But then some people like other tube amps: Sunn, Traynor, Trace, Mesa, etc.
  15. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I personally like the Bassman 135, but for an in your face rock sound you have to go it a SVT!
  16. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    I agree, I have a 92 or earlier and all the new ones I play just don't have that buttery tone that mine has.
  17. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    What's an SVT?

An SVT-1000? An SVT-4Pro? An SVT-450H?

"SVT" doesn't mean anything anymore. It's just an Ampeg proprietary trademark they've been sticking on totally dissimilar amps for years, even the tube models.
  18. SVT, a Super Valve Technology amp, ie, all tube, most people here mean an older SVT, i love my '89 SVT II, i think most people are refferring to what looks like the current SVT-CL and SVT-AV's
  19. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    I'm a Sunn guy but I wouldn't give up the chance to pick up a vintage SVT if the price was right.

Newer Ampeg doesn't turn my crank at all. I played on another bands rig after my Coliseum blew up after the night before with some power problems. Just couldn't dial in anything decent.
  20. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    My V8 > SVT.

The V8 growls, gets dirty, then roars and 'snarls'.. Nothing else like it :cool: