Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

is SVT5 pro woth extra money over V-4BH

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dross, May 5, 2005.

1. dross

dross

May 4, 2005
    i need a new head i can run a bass and guitar through... i want that all tube sound which will take great to pedal distortion.. i am now between the V-4BH or spending almost double on an SVT5-pro... any comments on my situation?

2. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Well, there's a huge difference in power. I wouldn't say they're in the same category at all.

3. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    +1

Lets see, 10 times the power, 1 tube vs all tube.....Yeah, that's different.

The V4B is the only one of them that is "all tube" which is in your "spec" as what you like.....

4. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I just picked up an old V-4B for a great price. See if you can find that or a V-4 the guitar version. For bass it has volume limitations although it is pretty loud. Im sure it would scream for guitar.

5. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    If you are planning on using a V4B or V4BH for bass you will also need a separate power amp to provide enough volume to hear yourself on stage. Sure, you may read glowing testimonials from fans of the V4B. How they play in a loud band and don't have any trouble keeping up with the guitars. I always have to laugh at them. No super efficient speaker cabinet and no amount of wishful thinking can turn 100 watts iinto a usable bass amp for stage use unless you have it about a foot from your head. It does sound great in the studio or if you are backing up some folk singers. Get the SVT5-PRO instead. At least you will be able to gig with it. :smug:

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Go to http://guitartrader.com/ and check out the SVT-2 Pro. Its only $1200 on there (open box, but nothing wrong) for 300 all tube watts, which can just about keep up with the SVT-5 in volume (a tad bit less, but it's pretty close) and gets the all tube tone. Discount that website, its gone. They probabally ran out. However, the SVT-2 Pro would still be a great choice. Or the SVT-CL.

7. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY

By and large you are, of course, correct. Does the fact that my Ampeg B15 amp section doesn't get turned up past 10:00 on the volume knob through my speakers count for anything?

Granted, we rehearse in a mid-sized place, but still, that's only a 50W at best, right?

disclaimer: my results do not predict future results unless you have horn loaded speakers

8. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    If you want tubes, buy tubes. the SVT5 tries hard to re-create that sound with the overdrive channel, but it won't match the tube tone. its a good sounding head, I've had one, I've recorded with it was very pleased with the results, but its still pretty solid state sounding.

If you're willing to pay double and want an ampeg then go for the 2pro or the CL.
    Maybe check out a yorkville or mesa 400+

9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Personally, my favorite modern all tube head has to be the Fender/Sunn 300 Pro/300T. It is very versitle and can get from clean sounding to vintage SVT to a completely unique sound. The price tag isn't even as big as the others, either! One thing I've heard is the pots aren't great quality. I don't personally own one, but I think I might get one once I get the cash.

10. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Im not going to discount whatever experience you may have but the 100 watt amp I use keeps up volume wise with one 700 watt channel near full output of my "giggable" power amp. :smug: Your problem may be that you have had 100 watt amps cranked 1 foot from your head for too long.

11. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Another testimonial from a player saying how powerful their 100 watt bass amp is. You guys crack me up. :D

12. 100 watt tube isn't exactly the same as 100 watt solid since the wattage is measured at zero distorsion, and tube's distort a long time before max volume (and we like it :) ) whereas the solid start distorting when they can't hack it anymore.
    If you consider the SVT CL is regarded as one of the more powerful amps, and it's a mere 300 watts... Compare that to any 300 watt solid - it's just unfare.

100 watt solid would be too low for most gigging, but the 100 watt tube is probably OK up to some level. If you use the amp to mould your sound and go through the PA it's sufficient up to medium size gigs.
    If you're gigging at arenas (and still get your stage sound directly from your amp) you'd probably want something bigger.

/Ff

13. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    People like Jack Bruce, John Entwistle, & Geezer Butler used 100 watt amps for years, and they kept up with their guitarists' 100 watt guitar amps just fine! :spit: I personally use a 60 watt tube head (yes, sixty watts) against a Peavey Classic 50 4x10 combo, and I have no problems being heard, onstage or rehearsing. I don't even use a super efficient cab, either! And trust me, he cranks that ****er big time. I crank mine as well. I get lovely overdrive, and am still heard fine. Protoz also has an 80 watt Sunn head that he uses against a 5150 half stack, and he says that keeps up no problem as well. So don't be dissing us for using 100 watt tube amps, they certainly keep up just fine, as long as you don't mind a lil' grind. :bassist:

14. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    That is a fantastic amp, especially for the money. Much cheaper, and it kills the SVT-CL IMHO in tone & clarity.

15. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Closer to 30 watts clean, actually. Maybe 50 watts peak distorted.

16. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Sunn 300T is my Holy Grail amp. I haven't been able to track one down yet but I have it's Solid State big brother the 1200S and it has every feature you can think of and then some. All it's missing is a tube power stage to really get some delicious over driven tone.

If you can find a Sunn 300T pick it up or pick up a fender bassman 300 Pro take the badges off and buy a Sunn logo because it is the same amp. If the 1200S is any indication on quality you have no worries about anything. The pots on there seem very thick and I have had no problems with mine.

I've also rocked out with my 80 watt all tube head and kept up with a 120 watt tube head so it isn't all about watts, its how they are used in the amp.