1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is SX...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ESPplayer, Sep 6, 2008.

1. ESPplayer

ESPplayer

Nov 17, 2006
  2. meowmeow

meowmeow

Nov 11, 2007
    For the most part SX quality control is pretty good. However, there are still some problems. The first SX I got played awesome and was great except there were some scratches on it. So I sent it back (they paid for return shipping) and got a new one that was super nice. Overall I wouldnt hesitate to order an SX because of quality control issues. Even if there is a minor one, you can get a new one for free.

3. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    My experience with my SJB-62 4+1 fretless and with Rondo has been less than happy, but I'm in the minority here.

4. hey

hey

Jul 8, 2006
    Wisconsin
    My first SX came with a gigantic chip in the finish, but I suppose that was the shipper's fault. The one I have currently is pretty good for a $140 bass. The neck, unfortunately, has a thick gloss finish on it, which most people do not like. I plan to remove it and refinish it with a satin or oil finish.

5. boriology101

boriology101

Feb 19, 2008
    OREGON
    +1

Another minority here... :D

I bought some SXs so far and I was not really happy with any of them. Although, I can still say that it's worth for the money but isn't that quite general characteristic of mass produced cheap basses nowadays?

In my very humble opinion, JayTurser is a bit more expensive than SX but I was quite happy with its build quality for the money...

However, I really like block inlays of SX... but that's it.

6. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I have the exact bass you have pictured. There are signs that it is not exactly a hand built bass, the finish is a little uneven and there is a dent in the finish where the bridge cover was installed. I removed the bridge and pickup cover, and there were also some little chips in the finish by the screw holes there. Also, IMO, the "tort" guard looks nothing like tort.

On the other hand, after a little set up work, this bass plays great. The neck and fretwork are actually very good. The pickups sound great, very "Fenderish." It sounds very nice in the mix with a band. The hardware is just fine, but I'm not very picky about tuners and bridges, anyway. It could use shielding in the control compartment, as it does pick up interference, but it's not as bad as many other basses I've had.

It's a tad on the heavy side, but not at all a boat anchor, and it's a blast to play. It's way worth the 160 bones Rondo charges.

Oh yeah, one odd thing, my pickups are the standard Fender size, with the bridge pickup being slightly longer than the neck pickup. They are supposed to be the same size according to the description on the Rondo site. Of course, that's better if you ever decide to change pickups. I don't see ever changing mine out, though, they sound just fine.

7. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I am 0 for 2.

Both of the SX basses I ordered were garbage and I returned them. Neck issues, fret issues, finish issues, tuner issues, etc.

Keep in mind that these are $100 basses and you get what you pay for.

Having said that, SX's customer service is amazing. They returned my basses and refunded my $$$ very quickly both times.

No hard feelings with SX. I just got 2 duds. Most forumites love SX basses and the happy customers far outweigh the unhappy ones IMO. I won't order another one from them though. If I need a beater I will likely look for a $200-250 used MIM Fender.

8. I bought two. One was amazing right outta the box. The finish (LPB) was all but perfect. The setup was great. No fret issues, etc. Amazing bass for the price.

The second was the same bass, but black and fretless (and B-stock). The finish was again fantastic. It looked great. Beyond that, it was not great. I couldn't get a good sound or setup out of it. :( After I replaced the neck (with a fretted SX neck) and modded the crap out of it, it turned out phenomenal, however! :)

9. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    There was recently an SX poll on here. The results were something like 164 people who'd owned or played an SX were satsified/pleased with them and about 19 people were not.

10. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Really I wouldn't worry about getting a lame duck, you can always get it replaced at no charge and really be silly not to take advantage of that.

11. lowtide

lowtide Commercial User

Oct 14, 2006
    Bradenton, Florida
    Owner: Buzzard's Bass Shop
    I've worked on 5 basses recently with that same neck and the only situation was with one where three frets were maybe 1 to 2 thoudsands high. But I'm very picky and they all played buzz-free out of the box.

I also built a fretless from scratch that I had planned to keep for myself but I was offered some good jing to change out the fretless for a fretted.

Here's my scratch-built SX fretless SJB-75:

[​IMG]

12. lowtide

lowtide Commercial User

Oct 14, 2006
    Bradenton, Florida
    Owner: Buzzard's Bass Shop
    [​IMG]
    I'm in the process now of using the fretless of my SJB-75 and building one that'll look similar to this IF I can find a chunk of hardwood that's got some great grain. The one thing I don't like about a lot of basses with clear finishes is when the grain doesn't match, especially hate them if the color and grain don't match. I started the above build with the following body and painted it.

[​IMG]

13. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I bought an SX bass to leave at work to practice with and I have to say its a piece of garbage. The truss rod will not straiten out the neck and its an unconformable bass to play. I bought it because so many people here raved about them but what do you want for $139.00. If I needed another cheap bass I would get a used Fender mim.

14. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Most people who are buying them are newbies and don't know any better.

15. Though not a bass, I had an SX Les Paul Jnr with P90s & set-neck. Was a great guitar, for the money could not complain at all.
    Wish I never sold it now.

However, I'm now GAS'ing one of these Jaguar look-a-likes.
    http://www.rondomusic.com/sjmb62car.html
    Was wondering if anybody's tried one?

Cheers

16. I have had 3 -

The 75 5 string, which was my 2nd 5 string, and helped me decide to stay on 4 strings.....

a PJ which was my first bass......and modded electronically, and the 75 J in Sunburst.

All were great, I still have the 2 4 stringers......

I have a Jazz Dlx, a Jag and a Pbass Dlx and the SX basses are still out running with the big boys all the time. In fact - the 75 J is my Motown bass and records like nobody's buisness !

FWIW - I have played expensive instruments that were uncomfortable, and junky feeling. I Have played other folks really expensive instruments, and I really like the feel, but cannot afford that level of instrument.

These are great workhorses, and a step up from a lot of equally priced instruments.

Bottom line, If you don't liek them, get something else.......

Kind of the Mary Ann or Ginger thing.....

Frankly - I am all for mary Ann, but if someone let me borrow Ginger for a while......I mean....you'd be a fool not to!

17. I have a 4+1 5 string $169 The B string hole in the bridge was too small for a .130 string so I had to drill it out. The setup was too high and needed some tweeking. These are the only issues mine had.

18. dakpluto

dakpluto

Oct 14, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    :rolleyes:

Really...what is your basis for this statement? Did you find out the playing history of all those voted? I don't remember that poll saying anything about how long they have been playing, so I assuming you have some sort of reasoning for the comment.

Or maybe you should just take a look around at some of the people here that have ignored the price, looked at them as a instrument with no bias, and been very happy with the results.

19. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    While some are experienced bassists who do "know better" and still like them.

20. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I'm pretty sure none of them have any hope of being re-elected.