Is TalkBass as cool as it used to be?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tb-player, Oct 13, 2021 at 11:08 AM.

1. tb-player

tb-player Gold Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2019
    I recently listened to a bass-related podcast where a couple of bass players got on the subject of TalkBass. The general consensus of the conversation seemed to be that TB was preferable "back in the day." Granted, that was just their opinions, but they don't come here much anymore (except for the classifieds... lol).

Without getting into the entire conversation, their overall point was this: before Facebook and Instagram, there was not easy access to other bassists outside of local circles. TalkBass was THE community for low-end lovers. These days, you can DM your favorite player and usually hear back from him/her. You can take Skype lessons from big-time musicians. You can follow anyone with an online presence. With the overabundance of social media, there is also an overabundance of access to bass players of all levels.

Granted, the guys in the podcast are now pro players and probably don't have the time to commit to a forum like this. In addition, TB was part of their formation as bassists. So I assume there is probably a nostalgic piece to their discussion that maybe they're too close to see.

For those of you who have been around here a while, has TB changed as a result of social media? Is it different than it used to be? In your opinion, was it cooler/better back in the day?

For those of you who have joined TB in more recent years, do you also connect with bassists on other forums or social media sites?

TonyP-, Wannabass, DJ Bebop and 3 others like this.
  2. Newer user here: I’ve found tons of good info here and mainly connect with other bassists on r/bass on Reddit. They’re another helpful community like this. I was on the bass discord for a while, but there was too much of a circlejerk vibe there. I’ve been on both of those longer than TB cause this place is kind of intimidating- I searched it a ton but didn’t really want to interact. I still tread carefully here before posting a comment.

yoofo, MynameisMe, Jimmy P. and 12 others like this.
  3. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Talkbass was never "cool."

That's why it's so informative and awesome.

"Cool" is for flash-in-the-pan, vapid influencers.

4. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    Talkbass still provides a level headed forum. Jerks are dealt with either by the commentariat or mods. I look at the reddit sub, but it doesn't seem robust enough to have TB level of discussion on all the different topics.

Cool? I don't know from that.

yoofo, jamro217, One Way and 11 others like this.
  5. SunByrne

SunByrne TB instead of practicing Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Pearland, TX
    Love it. To paraphrase, the fact that it isn't cool is what makes it cool.
    :cool:

6. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    TB has grown from an offshoot of early pro bassist bulletin boards to a broad and deep community of those who love the bass clef. I think it has only benefitted from its more international and “players of all skill levels” growth. I’m sure it’s more intimidating to jump in than in the old days, but also potentially more rewarding. Of course, it will always be about “opinions”, and you know what they say about those :).

PS - not sure social media has changed TB any - open to other opinions

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021 at 12:36 PM
  7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yes. Just for different reasons these days.

2tonic, CallMeAl, Mili and 4 others like this.
  8. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    I think that's my problem. I never 'tread carefully' and typically end up having to elaborate on a comment, retract a phrase or try & explain my dumb sense of humor. :bored:

9. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    It is almost as though there are some people who prefer a thing the way it used to be, but also some people who prefer that thing the way it is now.

10. Abington

Abington

Dec 25, 2007
    BC, Canada
    Meh, I don't get the influencer hate. It seems to me that the folks who are most effective "influencers" in the music space are super dedicated to their field and are either very skilled musicians, very charismatic orators, or both. Like, are Adam Neely and Rick Beato "vapid"? I've certainly gotten some good value out of their content. They are certainly commercializing their efforts, but no more than other professional musicians.

11. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    What wasn't preferable "back in the day?" Asking for a friend.

TB and McSweeny's are pretty much the only sites I visit non-professionally anymore (and no social media). The interwebs are just too much of a downer for me.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021 at 2:40 PM
  12. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    whoa-thats-deep-bro.jpg

13. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Don't be reluctant to post. Most people on here are very helpful and the knowledge bass is sometimes incredible. You have a question about an amplifier, chances are the guy that designed the thing may well answer your question. I doubt Reddit or a discord is going to give you that. But no one here bites, not too hard anyway, and if they do the mods are quick and effective. There is always the option to ignore them as well.

14. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    I enjoyed it in 2005, and I enjoy it now. But I myself am cool only to those who are also cool.

I don't do Facebook or Reddit or any other social-media platform. I like this one because it is moderated well. I seldom see things get too angry or stupid.

15. Color me the former. When I joined in 2007, it seemed like people took the time to actually read through a thread and potentially learn something from it before posting or moving on. Now people read the first post, vomit up the answer that's been given twenty to thirty time already, had they bothered to read anything past the OP, without adding anything to the thread. Threads didn't have hundreds of replies. And nobody searches. I'd suggest a sticky for all the same questions that pop up like clockwork, but nobody would read that either. And get off my lawn!

16. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    But when they do get stupid... it can be really fun to watch. :thumbsup:

4dog, basshawk21, DJ Bebop and 6 others like this.
  17. And I

And I

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    it'd be a lot cooler if this post had a poll... ;)

18. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    RationalWiki — Good old days

DJ Bebop, GregC and Bass Jones like this.
  19. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    I’m here mostly for the band stuff. I’m always interested in performance—how we all get it done. Everything from dive bar dwellers like me to touring acts. Everybody’s got tips and tricks!

20. kmon

kmon Supporting Member

May 11, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I've visited TB more than any other site over the past 12 years. It has remained civil and interesting over that time, unlike 98% of the internet. I still like it a lot.

SBassman, bobba66, roccobass and 26 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 18, 2021