Is TalkBass not a great marketplace anymore?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TemplesOfSyrinx, May 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. TemplesOfSyrinx

TemplesOfSyrinx

Sep 8, 2013
    Florida
    So, I just sold another bass on Craigslist.

That makes three in the last six months that I have first listed here on TalkBass, only to deal with low ball offers along with other frustrating things.

In all three cases the bass guitars sold for my asking price within a couple of days of the Craigslist ad. All local sales, cash and no shipping headaches involved.

What gives? I'm not complaining. I've done better. But I remember years ago the exact opposite was true. Items moved very quickly here on the forums.

I'm not trying to start a flame war against TalkBass. I love this forum. But something's changed. Has anyone else noticed this?

Thoughts?

jmattbassplaya likes this.
  2. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    Freight costs have become horrendous.

3. TemplesOfSyrinx

TemplesOfSyrinx

Sep 8, 2013
    Florida
    I agree with you shipping costs are ridiculous. However if I'm selling something for $500 shipping included, why am I getting that price from someone off of craigslist, but not so much interest from a marketplace on this forum? I understand all about supply and demand, and I always price things at or below the market. I'm just not seeing many results these days here.

4. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    It's a crazy world!:woot:

TemplesOfSyrinx likes this.
  5. Bassndrums73

Bassndrums73

Mar 13, 2018
    Ohio
    Everybody wants to buy your stuff for nothing anymore. They think if you want to sell it you need to give it away and if you don’t nobody else is going to buy it either. All I get on bass equipment is lowball offers anymore even when I have my stuff set as the lowest price on Reverb and it is in immaculate condition. I know there are a lot of choices in brands and the market is flooded but before I will give it away I’ll keep it. I feel you.

6. TemplesOfSyrinx

TemplesOfSyrinx

Sep 8, 2013
    Florida
    Absolutely. I don't sell anything because I have to. I want to. If people aren't willing to pay market for it, then I'll keep it.

Basically Bob and jmattbassplaya like this.
  7. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    My experiences have been the same, although CL and Reverb haven’t been THAT much better.

I’ve lamented the old days of the TB marketplace. Way more options, better deals, and surprisingly a good place to learn about gear. I don’t blame the people though. Shipping costs have just gotten to be too much to make it worth it for most people.

8. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    If there is a mystery to be solved here, it has nothing to do with TalkBass: It's that you somehow "sold three basses for asking price within a couple of days of the Craigslist ad." Now that's a mystery!

Timmy Liam likes this.
  9. TemplesOfSyrinx

TemplesOfSyrinx

Sep 8, 2013
    Florida
    No mystery as far as I'm concerned, other than people on Craigslist in NJ are more serious about buying instruments then the people these days on TalkBass. That's why I'm thinking that our forum has changed.

10. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

maybe so. more beginners (buying new)? the value of used gear is probably better appreciated by folks who have some experience: noobs want new and shiny (cheap vs. expensive probably doesn't matter as much as 'new and shiny!).

all i got...

11. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    It doesn't help that some sellers think a 10 year old bass is worth as much or more than a new one (e.g., 55-94 Laklands)

12. Craigslist isn't the only local game in town anymore, too. Now you also have Facebook Marketplace and Nextdoor.com offering classified without the hassle of having to pack stuff up and the expense of shipping. The only thing I ever sold through here was very expensive to pack and ship and, while it worked out great for the buyer who was happy, it probably would have been less trouble for me if I'd just stayed local.

It also depends on the gear. I had two heavy cabinets that I would never have shipped. We tried selling them online locally, but no one wants the heavy stuff anymore, so I ended up taking them to GC. Sometimes there's just not a big market for things, even things that once were very desirable like an old SWR cabinet.

And then, yes, everyone seems to have the mindset that you have to haggle for a deal, even when things are fairly priced. Some of the threads on here about this have made it pretty clear that there are a lot of people who believe a seller is always desperate to sell and should be motivated to do questionable stuff in order to satisfy their demands. In a store, there's a warehousing incentive to move merchandise but when it's just me and my stuff, I'm usually not that motivated. So both parties might grossly misunderstand where the other is coming from and fail to accomplish a deal, which may be just fine from the seller's perspective.

13. TemplesOfSyrinx

TemplesOfSyrinx

Sep 8, 2013
    Florida
    Tried both Facebook marketplace and nextdoor in the past, still didn't get the results that Craigslist did. Yeah, the heavy stuff doesn't move so much anymore, but I'm talking about instruments. I don't know, I just thought it was a strange observation that something as flighty as Craigslist was getting a better result in my area than a professional forum such as TalkBass.

LBS-bass likes this.
  14. TemplesOfSyrinx

TemplesOfSyrinx

Sep 8, 2013
    Florida
    Yeah, well nothing sells if you're not pricing it properly. People that have things for sale for a year and they are not seriously trying to move the equipment, because they are pricing it way above market.

15. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    The worst are Rics. I hope buyers are doing their due diligence as you can typically buy a new Ric for not much more than what I see most used ones going for.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    GregC likes this.
  16. Marketplace is a crap shoot. I have sold instruments through there but it takes a while, because it's a difficult platform to navigate for a buyer. Not intuitive as to how you find stuff in your area. I've also listed things, like those cabinets, all over Facebook and had no response, not even lowball offers.

On the other hand, my husband has listed things not music related and had people messaging him the minute the listings go up. So there are definitely people watching it, just maybe not so much for music gear. I don't know. I've never tried Nextdoor, don't think I ever would. They are on my poopie list for other reasons.

17. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    NC
    I've been both a buyer and a seller here and have seen plenty of unrealistic expectations on both sides. New Stingrays went up in price by probably 30% when the Specials (which are lighter, often have roasted or ebony necks and are arguably more flexible tonally) came out. So now a lot of people think their 10+ lb. 2007 Stingray is worth 30% more used.:D I also see Custom Shop Fenders being listed here for what appears to be retail price. Maybe that has gone up?

jmattbassplaya likes this.
  18. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    You're right, Fender Custom Shop basses are often listed at list prices. Unless you find one exactly as you would imagine, it's not custom for you, or worth list prices.

TemplesOfSyrinx and GregC like this.