is talkbass too complicated???

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Joe Nerve, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    -it's not for me, BUT....

every time i meet a bassplayer i ask them if they're a member of talkbass. oddly enough, 99% aren't - and i of course then give them the link, and they seem very excited about the whole thing. i then never see them show up here. hmmm....

sometimes i see these people again and ask them if they checked out the site and i seem to get similar response. "yeah, whatever....", "oh, it's ok...", "did you register your name???...", all very vague non difinitive answers.

i was wondering if perhaps the main page of the site could be intimidating or confusing to the newbie. there's an awful lot going on there. i know how to navigate through the site, i wonder if someone who comes here for the first time can do so as easily as we who have been here for a while. some people are not all that internet savvy. and yes, some people are just plain stupid.

other forums i've been to have the forum options right there in front of your face as soon as the site comes up. you can read everything and only have to register if you wish to post. not necessarily saying that's the solution (i'm not even sure the above is a problem) but thought i'd throw that out there to start kicking things around.

what are all your thoughts on this?????
  2. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Forums are considered confusing by a lot of people and I can see why - although I find them pretty straightfoward nowadays, I've racked up a fair few hours on a number of different sites... there's some bits of the learning curve that will just take time and determination (so, not unlike bass playing then :D ).

There's also the factor of time - I work at the computer all day and spend a fair amount of time on it at home. From both locations, I've got pretty fast, reliable net connections. Take away my access at work, put me on a slow dialup connection at home, and I'd probably be a much less frequent contributor!

Also, of course, if I put the time into music practise that I do into interacting with computers (even outside working hours) I'd probably be a better bassist (although arguably this would hold back my development as a webmaster). Not everyone wants to spend the time to get to grips with things like web based forums and nor, I guess, should I expect them too...

3. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I can see how it would be fairly confusing to someone who was new to web surfing...
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I get the same thing - so, I have mentioned the site to lots of Jazz pro bass players and each Summer I meet about 15 - 20 other bass players at Jazz Summerschool.

But, as people have mentioned - what we have here is not a community of bass players - it is a community of forum users and people who are comfortable with/working with the internet, PCs etc. - who also just happen to be bass players!! ;)

Most of the professional musicians I have met, are too busy rushing to their next paying job - whether it is a gig, teaching, recording etc.
    In order to make a living they have to be doing this all the time and have no time for sitting at a PC on internet forums!! you can see this with our own "Pros" - like Steve, Michael and Mike - there are long periods where they are not online and only log in occasionally, to answer questions.

They are not sitting at a PC all the time - the only people who do this are those working at PCs all day for their job or schoolchildren, college students.

That's where the majority of our community is!
  5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    H*ll, I think the site is a way to get and give information that is inaccessible any other way. Let's face it, we play bass - we are the forgotten ones (said with tongue placed firmly in cheek)!

If it is intimidating, it is only because there is so much stuff on the site.

As to Bruce, I think that is oversimplifying it a bit. Some pros couldn't find the floor without their laptops - others wouldn't know how to use a computer if it fell on them - just like the rest of society.

All I know is I like the site, and have gotten lots of good information on it - I only hope my contributions do the same for others.:D
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well where are they then? :meh:

I think the main point is that people who are making their living our of playing music are doing just that and arenot sitting in front of a computer all day.

From many years' experience here (I've been logging on here for 4 or 5 years, whereas you have only been around a month!! :meh: )- a lot of the regulars are part-time players and full-time PC users.

I have met quite a few Jazz players and they very rarely use the internet - so mostly as teachers - and I will mention something I have seen online and they look blank.

They are, as I said - teaching, playing, networking at gigs etc. etc.
  7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Hey - not trying to say you don't know what you are talking about - I'm sure most of the people who are on this site are either amateurs, or do this on the side (like me). I made the decision long ago that there were too many good musicians washing dishes for a living, so I would not take the chance. Forums like this are more for the social and teaching side.

But I know several people who make their living with nothing other then their basses who live by their email - and have web sites that are important parts of their work. That's all.

Friends ...???:meh: