1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is talking to one's fiancee 4 hours/day excessive?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Dec 15, 2006.

1. One of my housemates here in Los Angeles is engaged to a girl who is currently finishing up at BYU in Utah. (They're getting married in two weeks). During the three months he's lived here, he has been on the phone with his fiancee an average of two hours every weeknight and four or more hours on weekends.

Is this excessive, or should people planning to spend the rest of their lives together talk this much? I suppose I'm just amazed that they can find anything about which to speak after the tenth hour of conversation in a given week--and I'm speaking as a guy who, with apologies to a certain Leslie C., can talk the balls off a rhinoceros.

2. *smb

*smb

Nov 26, 2006
    When I was living five hours away from my gf at the time (and I didn't drive) I'd spend three or four hours on the phone to her every day. You end up doing stupid stuff like both watching the same television program and discussing it, things like that.

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Perhaps a bit excessive, given that there may be some nasty bills shooting up because of this. Then again, I'm not an advocate of long distance relationships and so any means he finds to keep things going he will certainly use.

4. No bills, I think--most mobile phone plans have unlimited weeknights (9PM-6AM) and unlimited weekends (9PM Friday-6AM Monday).

I doubt my housemate really enjoys being in a long-distance relationship, but you couldn't pay him to live in Utah. Smart guy. :smug:

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It's excessive but I guess it's cool that they want to talk that much. Good for them.

But yes...excessive. Maybe it's just that I'm not a big phone guy and don't enjoy talking on the phone at all.

bc

6. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Dang, that's a lot. Those two have a future working in a call center....

7. Headroom

Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    My guess: if they do marry and remain together throughout their lives, the memories of the youthful intensity of their relationship will be recalled with great fondness and bit of wonder.

8. Yes that is definately too much talking!!! If you're going to have a successfuly marriage with a woman, you need to learn to LISTEN to her talk for 4 hours :D :bag:

9. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    well, if they both enjoy it, then wonderful... but it's far more than i'd ever spend on the phone... they surely haven't done 2 hours worth of stuff to talk about every night... maybe half an hour maximum would do it for me

10. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    If they're planning a wedding, they *need* to be talking that much. Putting on a wedding is almost as big a juggling act as, say, putting on Woodstock. ;)

Cherie :)

11. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    +1 When they are married they will be talking all the time, might as well start now. Also, the thing that kills a long distance relationship is the lack of contact. If they would have hung out 2-4 hours every night living in the same town, then they should be on the phone together just as often.

12. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I tell guys that once your you put that ring on her finger, the only thing you two will be talking about will be the wedding. That's why I'm not a big fan of long engagements. Guy thinks they are buying time, but really buying trouble. More time to talk about the wedding, and find more things to spend money on.

13. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    Only thing I got to really have a say in was who I wanted to invite. Even then, I had to keep paring down the list. Other than that, I was politely (except for one instance) told to stay out of it.

4 hours a day seems excessive to me, but I can understand it.

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    only 4 hours a day??? My wife and I are not only best friend but partners.... We talk all the time and we live together. When I'm at the office we IM each other.

and we just got hitched in Oct after 11 years of engagement and 8 years of owning property together :bassist:

15. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    My husband wanted a big wedding. I'd been married before, and knew how much trouble they are. So...I was the one battling to keep the thing small and simple, not him.

And then his mom got involved, and I lost the war!

Cherie ;)

16. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas

Well, they're far apart, so they'll wanna talk a lot.

I wish my husband had stayed out of it. If I'd had my way, we'd have eloped, and then had a barbeque and jam party at the house when we got back. But he wanted a church wedding, so...SIGH!

Cherie :)

17. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    Mife wife's parents forbade us from eloping.

Their son did it.
    They tried to keep it a secret because they were due for their "offical" church wedding the following November. They couldn't keep it a secret though because shortly after they eloped, his wife got pregnant.

Needless to say, there were some fireworks even though the November wedding went on as planned.

I'd honestly be pissed too.

18. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I think paying that much attention to someone you're not sleeping with or engaged to is a bit excessive... :smug: ;)

That said, it seems a bit much. :D

19. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I think he should talk to her every minute he wants to, and he should cherish every second of it.

20. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    thread closed! That's the only real answer!