Is that a Fender I see in my rear view mirror...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by emor, Feb 7, 2006.

1. emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo I drive away with my new Lakland?:hyper:

I've always loved Fenders, both the sound and the design. To my eye, they just look "right." Everything about them seems classic.

As I begin to play professionally again, I have been in the market for another Jazz to go along with my current Squire Jazz. I recently put Fralins in it and it was a huge improvement. But as a working musician, I, of course, need two.:D

I have driven all over town and played probably every available Fender Jazz and have been underwhelmed. Most needed a good set up and with at least a couple of the ones with the S-1 switch, the switch seemed to stick in the "on" position. I have looked on ebay periodically for a vintage instrument, but predictably, they were well beyond my means.

Then I ran across a Lakland Darryl Jones model a couple of weeks ago. Looks enough like a Fender to satisfy that criteria, and plays like a dream. Fit and finish is great, as is the fret work. It is black sparkle (which isn't as cheesy as it sounds), with white pickguard, and bound rosewood fingerboard with block inlays. It has a somewhat smaller, more countoured Jazz-type body (ash) that fits me great (I'm kind of a small guy). I've played it for a couple of hours at home by myself this afternoon, and so far, I couldn't be happier.

Looking forward to playing it at rehearsal with the band this week and gigging with it this weekend.

Looks like Lakland has out-Fendered Fender.
  2. truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    try a nice Geddy mmmmmmmmm
  3. Sorry truckin, but as nice as the MIJGL's can be, Lakland is head and shoulders above them in terms of fit, finish and playability.
  4. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I completely agree with this statement.

Geddy's are nice. But Laklands are amazing.
  5. emor

May 16, 2004
    Pic, for those who are interested. Shown with traditional Fender (Squier) Jazz for the sake of comparison.

I cannot put this thing down.

Attached Files:

6. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Agree for sure.

I always liked fender, and I have 2, but...
    After buying my 55-01 and playing a Bob Glaub, I don't see myself ever purchasing a Fender again. I admit that I do think about the "brand" sometimes but the Lakland product is superb and the "Lakland" name is nothing if not respectable. I also love the fact that I can play a sweet bass, and be supporting a locally owned company right here in Chicago! It's also cool when the companies founder answers your emailed questions personally.

If your budget is under 700, Fender is there for your but I hope to own a hollowbody and a higher end jazz someday and think that for "traditional" instruments there is nothing but Lakland in store for my future purchases.
  7. I have to comment on this.

I don't currently have a Fender or a Lakeland but I can say that the Geddy Lee Jazz is probably the best Fender I've ever played. Lakelands ARE nicer though.

"Lakeland has out-fendered Fender"
  8. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    It's been said here (and on other forums as well) before: "You have to play several Fenders to find a good one, and you have to play several Laklands to find a bad one."

I having nothing against Fender. I've owned three (back in the 70's). Fast forward to the present-every CIJ model I've tried (Sting and Geddy sig models) was excellent, and I'm sure the Custom Shop stuff kills, but it seems that the MIA ones are hit and miss. I'm sure there are many here who have excellent examples of MIA Fenders. Lakland certainly doesn't hold the patent on "quality", but it seems as though they are totally commited to it (on every bass- MIA and Skyline) and it shows. YMMV.
  9. sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    I can comment on my personal opinion of the Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn versus the Fender Geddy Lee. I've owned a Geddy sig bass since August 2004. At first I really liked the slim neck profile, but I've since found that playing songs where I have to spend lots of time low on the neck for extended periods (1st thru 4th frets) caused my hand to cramp. My other Jazz basses with more traditional profiles don't cause the same effect. For this reason, I never gigged with the Geddy, always grabbing my other Jazz instead.

My new Joe Osborn arrived today. The satin finish on the neck has a much nicer feel than the gloss on the Geddy neck. The profile is not as slim, which fits my hand better. The pickups are slightly hotter, and are warmer but not quite as punchy as the Geddy pickups. The Joe Osborn is lighter weight and has better sustain, and the overall fit and finish is slightly better than the Geddy as well.

The Geddy and my other Jazz have been replaced, and will likely be finding new homes in the not to distant future.
  10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I'm about to take this step...from Fender to Lakland. Good to know that I will be choosing wisely.

Going from a Squier to a Lakland is quite the step. I'm thinking you would have got the same satisfaction going to a nice MIA Jazz.

11. the only traditional pbass i have owned and still do, is a pimped out SX.
    i have a skyline glaub enroute to me now....

now all i need is a tort pick guard for it.
    anyone used any pick guards other then from lakland for a Glaub?

12. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston

I believe he is the pg supplier to Lakland.
  13. thanks, i literally just found this page via ebay and emailed them just before i checked back here