Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is that a Gibson viola Bruce is using?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by byrdsfan, May 3, 2005.

1. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    Ive only seen one shot of the Cream reunion but it looks like Jack Bruce has fired up a Gibson viola bass instead of the fancy axes he's been wielding. That's pretty cool. Too bad the other guy is sticking with the Fender.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think that is an original Gibson EBO he is using.

3. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
  4. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Jack was using the warwick "jack bruce LTD cream reunion bass" or at last thats how the store that sells it calls it.

5. The violin shaped Gibson bass Bruce is using is an EB-1. The EB-0 is SG shaped.

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The EB-1 was called just EB in the 50s (there was no EB-0, EB-2, EB-3 or EB-4 yet) and not officially called the EB-1 until it was reissued in 1969.

Jack's is a 50s model that used to belong to Felix Pappalardi (RIP).

Early EB-0s used the slab double cutaway Les Paul body shape. It was changed to the SG body shape when the SG guitar was introduced (1961?).

7. According to the pic, he had both the EB and the Wal-wick...

8. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    IIRC, it was originally the EB but Gibson started calling it the EB-1 after the EB-2 came out in the late 50's.

9. Actually it was discontinued in 1958, slightly before or immediately after the introduction of the slab body EB-0.

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/gibson9.html#eb1

So that's actually Felix's bass? I'd heard that Felix was the reason the bass was reissued in 69-70.

Edit:
    Notice in the picture, the tuners have been changed.

10. Definitely a Gibson...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. TMWPB

TMWPB

Mar 1, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Hey,

In Bongolation's picture you can see the Warwick Reunion bass on the stand in the back ground.

TWMPB