Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is that really a Fodera??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by geshel, Dec 17, 2001.

1. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
  2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It's a Fodera from the Eddie Murphy-on-SNL era.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Yeah, made by Louie Fodera. :rolleyes:

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    looks like an SD Curlee to me..

5. Look at the pic, it's perfect? There's no close up pics of the bass, most important thing that people would like to know, if it's a real Fodera, then close up shot of the head stock please.

Give this guy a clue.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I honestly don't know what it is. It does look like a Curlee. IMO it's entirely possible this is the only pic they had. Some seem certain it's not an early Fodera... not me. I'd email Vinnie or Joe for verification.

Believe it or not, that's what some high end basses looked like way back then.

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    It very well could be a Fodera. Think about when thses guys first started making their own line. I've seen some early Curbows, Spectors, etc. that would make you hurl!

8. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    she just wants a home guys.. sure shes may not be the purtiest gal on the block... but she'll love you unconditionally... hopefully... ;)

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I was gonna bid on her, but it was impossible to do with a Warwick headstock looking over my shoulder and watching every keystroke.

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Yeah I thought that statement was funny too - all you can tell from the pic is that it is still in one piece!

I could imagine Vinny building a bass like that early on, the thing is, remember that Victor Wooten's is an '83! If he was building Monarchs in '83, this one would be older than "early 80s", which it really strikes me as - like '81 or '82, when those white pickups were all the rage! :)

Also, didn't Vinny work for Ken Smith before starting Fodera? It'd be hard to imaging the jump from Ken Smiths to *this* to Wooten's Monarch - why the strange detour? :D

Anyway, as Angus would say this is all Blatant Speculation, I guess somebody could ask Vinny. I'll ask the seller for more detail too.

12. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Could it really be an '81 or '82 model when Fodera's page has this?

[​IMG]

13. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Hah! That's right. I'm convinced. Wonder what it really is.

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    It could be a bass that Vinny had a hand in building, and his guy is trying to cash in on the name.

15. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Here's the reply I got back from him:

"Thanks for the interest and the questions,. I've updated the listing with
    more info and pics. copy\paste link below to get right to it. I've included
    all questions people have asked me plus a ton more details. I had a
    professor of mine give me a hand with the details (he tells me it's
    underpriced). I'm a bassist, but some of the questions auctioneers have asked
    stumped me. Hope this helps. Feel free to ask anything else."

He's updated the auction page including a link to more pictures: http://www.infosqueezer.com/customfodera.htm

Looks like "JF" on the truss rod cover to me. Somebody also needs to tell him how to tell the difference between maple and zebrawood!

16. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    P.S. apologies to Vinnie for spelling his name wrong! :)

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Anyone ask Fodera yet?

IMO this still could be a Fodera... could have been built before Vinnie incorporated. The initials on the headstock could be the original owners. So far nothing has ruled out the possibility of it being a Fodera.

:D

18. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Well, I did ask the seller "Is that really a Fodera?". He didn't say. I emailed back to ask him if Vinnie Fodera, of Fodera Guitars, built it. I'll email Fodera and see what they say.

19. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Not that I think the seller is not truthful but there are several scenarios in which he might "think" he has a Fodera, such as a previous owner telling him that. Personally the only thing I'd really put stock in would be the word from Joe or Vinnie.

The buyer is still calling it a Fodera and the extra pics are called Fodera... I think that may be an answer to that question;)

20. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Although I cannot say whether or not it is a Fodera. Those guys will build a bass to your design specs. I saw some unplayable instruments that they have built for people. They tell them DON'T DO IT. But some people have a vision, no matter how strange.

Mike