1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is the Acoustic Bass Guitar a legit Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TenorClef, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Back in the 1840's Adolf sax invented the saxophone, the instrument was not favourably recieved by the classical orchestra and it was'nt until the 1920's that the saxophone really came into its own...............

I've been trying to see if i can get the good folks here at 'Talk Bass' to start a smaller sub forum for ABG and a number of issues have arisen. One of which i would like to discuss here-

Is the Acoustic Bass Guitar or ABG considered a legitimate bass instrument. Opinions both pro and con welcome :)

2. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

No.
    It's a very,very low treble instrument.

:eyebrow:

3. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Yup its a bass.

4. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Yes it is a bass guitar, Mexican Mariachis have been playing an acoustic bass guitar for many many years, we call it "guitarron" : Big guitar.

5. Mo' Bass 00

Mo' Bass 00

Aug 15, 2006
    Why wouldn't it be, because it's a Guitar or because it's Acoustic? :meh:

I say it is because it's so widely used and acoustic Basses of all shapes and sizes have been around for ages!

6. notenslaved

notenslaved I survived the 80's only to see it return.

Feb 13, 2008
    Connecticut, USA
    It's certainly bass guitar - the argument seems moot to me, I'd be more interested in hearing this question answered:
    In what way is it NOT a bass guitar?

I play ABG, and as a newbie around here I was disappointed to see there was not a sub-forum dedicated to ABG.
    IMHO there should be a sub-forum under "Bass Guitars" for ABG, but I think a top-level forum for ABG might be overkill.

7. Tom P

Tom P

Aug 19, 2004
    So discuss them here-no need for a separate forum.

8. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Exactly, +1.

9. Tom P

Tom P

Aug 19, 2004
    I'm aware of your issues, but discuss them here-no need for a separate forum.

10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Of course it's a legitmate instrument. However, it fits well into the "bass guitar" forum on Talkbass. Nothing to say that this forum can't be for both electric and acoustic bass guitars. I mean, at the end of the day, thats what they are.

11. ogrossman

ogrossman

May 20, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    Of course it is a "true" bass guitar but I think the key word in this question is "legitimate".

I've been searching for years for a modern acoustic bass (not a guitarron) that is loud enough to be played with other acoustic instruments without amplification. The only one that I've found that even comes close is a very expensive model made by Martin. On the whole I've found the rest of them to be pretty much useless as purely acoustic instruments.

On the other hand I think acoustic/electric basses are wonderful instruments. I've heard them in many recordings and live performances where I thought they were just the ticket.

But if the question is only about un-amplified acoustic electric guitars then my answer is they're definitely not a legitimate instrument.

12. ...but the double bass forum has sections for both electric double bass and acoustic double bass so why can't we have a similar service? As a supporting member i think i should be able to bring this topic up for discussion and Paul and the other moderators should actually give this some genuine consideration.

13. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Bingo!

14. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    A question: how many folks here only play acoustic bass? I would speculate not many.

15. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I think the bigger question that you are trying to get addressed is........ I don't think you are special enough to get your own forum dedicated to your instrument. :)

I see as a regular bass, just acoustic.

Not being a pain, really.

16. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    +1

giving it it's own forum will only marginalise it further as then no-one but the few ABG players here will really see it.

17. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    IMO an extra forum would be superfluous. There's no reason that any and all acoustic bass guitar posts couldn't be done in the "Basses" forum.

18. and PLAYED an "ABG", I'd say it IS a "legit Bass". That being said, IT IS NOT for me, so I got rid of it!

19. I'm gonna assume that the OP was shooting for a STICKY thread in the "BASSES" sub forum. If this is the case, I think it's a great idea.

After all, we have a sticky for G&L owners (which I am) so why not a sticky for ABG's (which I own & play)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.