1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is the Aguilar 750 all that?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by smcgov, Jan 16, 2012.

1. smcgov

smcgov Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Northshore Mass
    so I've had a crest ca-6 with a demeter vtb201s pushing through an eden 410xlt.

I'm way more than curious to try the aguilar but would have to sell my other stuff to fund it. Will it really sound much different than my current rig? I notice the 750 gets rave reviews, but they sure do seem to be for sale a lot, why are they always for sale if they're the end all be all?

2. Because they are not a SVT classic...

:ninja:

smcgov likes this.
  3. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    they are always for sale because they are not that flexible tone wise
    it is far from being the end all and be all

if you have to sell your current rig to try the DB750
    the I wouldn't recommend it

4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    One commonly known phenomenon surrounding that head is that it often gets sold off by someone only to eventually be re-bought.

5. smcgov

smcgov Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Northshore Mass
    I just read that and was surprised...I suppose I'm thinking if it's that awesome, why sell it in the first place. I'm not trying to slam it, it's just that when you read these reviews, regardless of the equipment they're almost always glowing. I want to hear from people that didn't think it was all that and why. I like the idea of it having a fatter sound and reserve power...but I'm not about to haul around an SVT ....I'm getting old.

6. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    They are also for sale because they are very expensive (not to mention large and heavy), so they are likely the first thing to go when someone needs money and starts to think practically. What says more about the head is that so many owners have owned them, used something else for awhile and then gone back to them because nothing else will do (repeat ownership)! I've never owned one, but have played one on a few occasions. If you are looking for an authoritative, ballsy, punchy heft to all your notes on the bass then I can't say I've tried another amp that does that better. If you are looking for alot of articulation or grind (or for something easy to lug around) I would look elsewhere.

7. I think the main reason is weight and portability, and a secondary one might be a lack of flexibility in copping many different tones.

You should turn this question around to find insight: why are you looking to sell your sweet Demeter/Crest rig if it's so good? This assumes you find that rig good, which I think is a reasonable assumption; that rig is recognized as a high-end, hifi rig by most bass players.

So again, why are you looking to sell that Demeter/Crest rig and try out the Aggie?

8. sonofabass

sonofabass

Feb 10, 2006
    California
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Mike Lull,MXR,Gruv Gear, Mono
    They are monster amps. Yes, big and heavy. So not practical as a main-head if all you do is gig in small venues (sorry I didn't read your original post so forgive me there). I've got a DB750 that I use for larger events and venues and a ToneHammer 500 for everything else and that little thing kicks butt.

Just my 2

Peace,
    Blyss

9. smcgov

smcgov Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Northshore Mass
    well the demeter is super clean and clear, but the hi-fi thing is getting old for me and instead of being pretty, I'd rather bring out the 2x4. I've had the same rig for 10 years...I'm hoping a change will reignite my mojo.

10. So then at least some of the DB 750's for sale might be due to the same sort of reasoning: It's super-balsy and punchy but I was looking for something a bit more hifi, balanced, and refined -OR- something with more grind, dirt, and roar.

Wanting to sell gear is not always an indication that it performs poorly, but rather that the user/owner just wants to try something new.

And there is always the weight, although that does not seem a concern for you, for others I think that is a common reason to sell a DB 750/751.

11. afroman

afroman Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yep.

I sold mine when I had to move for Graduate school.
    Do I miss it? Yes. Am I going to buy one again? Definitely

12. renejaime

renejaime

May 25, 2005
    Austin
    I owned and sold a DB750 and if given the chance I would very much purchase another...
    - does it sound awesome, HELL YES!!!
    - does it weigh more than you expect, HELL YES!!!
    - is the SVT vs DB750 a waste of time comparison? HELL YES! - they're are both amazing and an apples and oranges comparison.

The only reason I sold this amp was to fund a new project.

13. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    ^This^!

14. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    You might want to check out the Mesa Carbine amps as well. I had an M6 that definitely punched like crazy, but without losing the clarity that the DB750 does in my opinion- the Carbines are clear, but definitely not pretty! The M9 is even more versatile (added graphic EQ and compressor) and with more power on tap. They are also smaller, lighter, and cheaper than the DB line (especially used prices). I don't think the Carbines can really get as smooth sounding as the DB (or the DB as clear as the Carbines), so they are definitely different flavors of 2x4...

15. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Thanks for that comparison. I'm beginning to feel the need to move on from the SVT and try something new. The Carbine was on my list, and the DB750 has always been a dream amp of sorts. This kind of comparison will definitely make me think things over some :)

16. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Having owned both the demeter with a crest and currently owning a DB750 I think I can answer your question fairly.

Both the demeter (I had the original 1.5 space one) and the aguilar have fairly limited EQs. The demeter will not fix great problems with your bass or the room. The DB750 is the same way. It has its sound and does THAT very well. It's not a super hifi sounding amp, but it is a monster in so many ways.

What Aguilar as a company has excelled in is creating a very organic sounding amp with alot of detail and warmth. By no means transparent, but projecting your bass into a pleasing sound that fits in the mix of most music types very well.

The Demeter is kind of the polar opposite. Very clean sounding, adding very little to your sound. A nice overall sheen to make it a little more pleasing to hear. Had one for at least 4 years. One of the few pieces I have purchased and repurchased, and may purchase another in the next few weeks.

What makes the DB750 so great is the power section. Like the SVT, the power section on this amp is phenomenal! Lots of clean power and a mix friendly EQ section. It really feels like more than 750 watts. I've played thru many power/pre combinations, but this thing is alot louder than you would imagine. When we look back at all of this in 10-20 years, the DB750 will be a landmark amp.

That being said, it has one major downfall... IT'S HEAVY! Because of it's weight and being a "one trick pony" many people move away from it. After using it awhile, you realize there is no sonic equivalent to what this amp offers.

If you are satisfied with your tone, the DB750 is almost the polar opposite of the Demeter. I would recommend keeping what you have. The crest is an excellent power amp, but it still doesn't have the sonic punch you get with DB750.

If you want to slap someone in the face and make them say daddy. The DB750 will deliver.

17. smcgov

smcgov Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Northshore Mass
    yeah my issue is that I'm here in Mass. with nothing but guitar centers and no real "boutique" joints to check out the good stuff. when I lived in Texas I could go to larry morgans and they'd have all the top stuff.

18. smcgov

smcgov Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Northshore Mass
    I have the demeter/crest/RBI/compressor/tuner in a rack, so I'm familiar with the heavy, I actually thought the aguilar would weigh less than my rack.

so when you first made the switch were you pleasantly surprised by the aguilar. is it your go-to amp now? and does your other rig sound wimpy when you switch back?

19. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I have the Ca6 and Demeter 201. I have heard and tried the DB 750 and 751. I like the 751 a little better. I myself would like the DB 751 and if the price is right the 750. But I would not sell the crest set up for it. What you have is a very quick and clean sounding rig. I think it would be better to save and buy a 750 as it will always be around for sale. Play it and if it is to you an all to end all than sell your crest set up. But what you have is a great set up. The two are different so make sure you want that change. The CA 6 is powerful, maybe change your pre. The alembic f2b is a great pre for the crest also. A real favorite of mine. More versatile. There is alot of great pre's. But the crest is clean and powerful. Bridged 8 ohms 1000W Bridged 4 ohms 1200W... Thats alot of power. And thats at 20Hz-20kHz, 0.1% THD+N.

20. sandmann

sandmann

Dec 27, 2005
    I totaly agree on pickebass. Sold mine and rebought one within one year... It Takes some time to realize how good this amp is. There are amps that blow you away tonewise in the first moment. The db750 didnt do it with me. When i went onstage with it in a karger venue i couldnt believe it how good and authoritive it sounded without blowing the rest of the band from the stage. Its a True classic.