1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is The Amp Section of an older SWR 210C Combo Swapable?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rholler, Nov 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. rholler

rholler

Sep 24, 2010
    I've never seen one of these in person, so I'm wondering if the upper "amp head" section is designed in such a way that a different 2space rack-mount amp head could replace the original?

My primary rig is an SWR 210 Goliath Jr 210 cabinet, driven by a vintage GK 800RB, and it's a combination that I dearly love. I'd like to have a "spare" rig to use when necessary, and I've already got a spare vintage GK 400RB head. It would seem that a 210C combo unit with the GK replacing the SWR head would be the best of both worlds, and ideal as my spare rig.

There always seems to be an older SWR 210C combo amp on Ebay. But without having ever seen one in person, I don't know how easy it would be to pull the SWR head out and slide the GK 400RB in. (?)

2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

sorry i can't contribute: i just wanted to read the responses/info.

i'm sure you'll get some opinions/experiences in short order. good luck with your query/project! :thumbsup:

3. Bufalo

Bufalo Funk in the Trunk Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Harrisburg, PA
    One issue you'd run into, if using a Super Redhead as your starting point, is that the speaker wiring is not standard. The high frequency crossover and attenuator is built into the head section, and then the signal is sent to the speaker on a 3-conductor wire with a TRS plug. If you plugged that into a normal 1/4" speaker output, at best you'd just have the woofers running, at worst who knows.

I don't have a clue if the workingman's 210C is wired similarly. If that's where you're starting then ignore me and keep going! :D

4. agedhorse

agedhorse SUSPENDED Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    With the GK, you will probably need to add a fan blowing on the back too (assuming thevamp even fits) because the cooling is quite different than on the SWR products.

5. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Maybe ask a seller to get you rough inner dimensions with a tape measure? Width and height of the opening and depth of the cab should at least tell you if there's a good chance of a fit. If they want to sell, I think they will take 5 minutes to measure up for you.

If you go for it, take a lot of pics and do a build thread! :D