1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is the Ampeg BA115 combo loud enough for gigs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chief ten beers, Oct 15, 2006.

1. chief ten beers

chief ten beers

Jan 4, 2005
    I need an amp that can be used for rehersals and eventually live gigs at small venues.will this baby cut the mustard or should i look elsewhere.definitely won't be playing no stadiums,lol but small venues and probably some outdoor shows.thanks

2. Outdoor might be hard

But, it all depends, are you in a rock-orientated band with two guitarsists each with 100 watt full stacks and a loud as hell drummer. Or are you in a cool jazz trio doing coffee shop gigs?

A little more info on what you play, and what your up against would be pretty helpfull?

3. chaotick

chaotick

Aug 15, 2006
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Try it out first.

I used it at my local GC and it was nowhere near loud enough for my situation.

Also, it may have been just that unit, but it was making an ungodly hissing noise at semi-high volume.

4. chief ten beers

chief ten beers

Jan 4, 2005
    mostly for blues and classic rock,no high decibel death metal or anything like that.for a combo is 100w a little under powered in general for anything other than practice at home?

5. In my opinion, yes, but, i play in a different situation from you.

However, will be part of a blues/rock/cover band doing pubs and bars, and when i can i will be using my 810 cabinet with SVT, even thought that will be overkill!

Id still aim for 300 watts through a 1x15 or 2x10 or 4x10

6. If it's anything like my BA110, the answer is "no." It's nice for practice, or maybe playing a really small venue, but for an outdoor gig, I think it probably won't cut it, unless you will be micing your rig through a PA anyway.

For some reason, Ampeg's solid state gear all seems to be really lacking in volume output compared to similar gear from other companies. Maybe it's to push people towards their SVT stuff, I dunno.

If you are set on a 115 combo amp (which is in fact, a nice choice for a first rig for gigging), I would look at similar models by Peavey, etc.

7. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    I have the BA115 HP, which is the same unit, but with 220 watts. Even with the added watts, this is still a practice amp, with the added versatility for doing smaller gigs. If your band practices at low volume, and the drummer can control his dynamics, this little amp can definitely fill the bottom end. Same goes for doing shows with it. For a small gig, at a reasonable volume, in a small club or bar, this amp can hold its own. Where you will run into trouble, is trying to compete with marshall 100 watt half stacks and a drummer beating the life out of his kit, at full concert volume. For large venues and shows, including outdoor events, the ampeg becomes your personal stage monitor, and you'll have to rely on the p.a. for support.

8. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I tried one of these at a local music store. Although the tone was pretty good, the amount of headroom this combo had was not nearly enough.

In my opinion, if you are in any type of rock band, any kind of combo that has only 100 watts is not gonna be enough for doing gigs. While you may be able to get away with it if you have good PA support, the stage volume will be very low and you won't be able to hear yourself very well, which is extremely annoying. I played through several 100W combos at gigs with PA support and was dissapointed every time.

Combos like this are more suitable for low volume rehearsals and at-home practice. I would strongly consider something with more watts and more speakers.

9. chief ten beers

chief ten beers

Jan 4, 2005
    thanks guys i think i'll pass on it and look for something else.

10. Last night I went to a local bar (60 mile away is local around here) and saw a great new band that is just coming together (late 50s/ early 60s blues/swing/rock/jazz). Guitarist/vocalist (Gibson ES 175 > Genz Benz Shenandoah 100 acoustic amp), 2 saxes into the PA, Keyboard, drums with NO MIC and the bass was playing through a BA115 HP. It was terrific. The band was plenty loud for 100 people. But the bass frequently alternated between being boomy , straining to be just right, and being lost. This is a very difficult room to EQ and these guys didn't have a sound man, so one of the sax players had to stand out front between songs to try to get it right. I think the bass could have used a little more head room. In a room with decent acoustics I think the bass amp would have just made it.

11. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    +1

Although I gave it a valiant effort, I couldn't have said it much better, and didn't.

12. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Agreed with everyone. I don't think it will be loud enough for most gigs.