1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is the Ampeg Micro-VR stack enough for me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rollyolly, Jan 15, 2012.

1. rollyolly

rollyolly Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2011
    I'm looking for "one size fits all" amp that will be used primarily for solo practice, but I'd also like to use it in a band setting, and maybe for some bar gigs. All genres -classic rock, 80's rock, funk, soul. I tried the stack out and LOVED the tone, but I'm just not sure if there would be enough headroom for a drummer and electric guitar.

Does anyone else use this stack in a (non-acoustic) band setting? Would I be better off just spending the extra $200 for the PF-500 Portaflex stack?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd say if you can only have one, the Portaflex is more sure thing that you could handle the gig. I gig them both pretty regularly, and on gigs where I'm going into the PA, the Micro VR always works for me because we're not super loud onstage. But when I'm without PA, it's nice to be able to get louder if I need it. With bass it pays to have a rig that can go louder than quieter.