1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is the ATK really a "Stingray Killer?"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinsok, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Has anyone here been able to A/B them?

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    No. Stingrays have higher output, but ATKs sound great and offer some sounds that Stingrays don't have. Buildwise, the new ATKs are incredible basses considering that the base four and five can be bought for under $550.

3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I have seen "Stingray Killer" in an auction description, maybe here as well. I have a used ATK coming this week. I didn't buy it to kill Stingrays though.

4. double-muff

double-muff

May 5, 2007
    Iceland.
    Well, it really depends on how hard you hit that damn fish with the bass.

*loud wet fart*

5. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    When I was starting out I wanted a stingray. Then I found an ATK. Bought it. Now I don't want a stingray anymore.

you do the math.

6. Ibanez ATK

Ibanez ATK

Sep 24, 2008
    I never killed anyone!!

Do not believe everything you read.

Also I never had sexual relations with that girl!

7. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    I don't know about "Stingray killer" but when I take a look at a Ray...the build quality, playability, sound, etc. I always think to myself, "How can they charge $1600 for this?"

The ATK is certainly not $1000 worse than a Stingray. Not even close.

8. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I modded a p bass with an ATK pickup after hearing some pretty impressive clips of ATK's on youtube and I decided that the sound of the ATK is that huge pickup paired with the Ibanez preamp. I'm still impressed with the clips of it that I saw.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've owned both, at the same time.

The ATKs (I've owned two) don't have the same aggressive attack/grind that Stingrays have. Overall, it's a tamer instrument. It is, however, more versatile, with the coil switching. Killer? No. Decent imitation? Yeah.

Personally, I'll stick with the Stingray.

PV1112.

10. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    :eyebrow:

you can get a ray new for $1300. the build quality? best instrument i've ever played. only thing i didn't like about it was the fact that it wasn't a p-bass.

stingray vs atk? stingray ftw.

the atk is like most said here, more tame. if you like the tone of the ray, without the huge output pickup, you will like the atk a little more. i owned a ray for many years. i also played an atk recently. they atk is a great bass for the price.

11. Stingrays rock. Theres no doubt about that.

I think an ATK can do a fantastic imitation of a stingray sound. In the same way that a Lull would do a great version of a vintage jazz sound. They aren't the same animal but they both have their merits.

Funnily enough, if you put old GHS boomers on an ATK, it can do a pretty good 70s precision tone as well.

In short - an ATK isn't a stingray killer. But it's close. Very very close for a lot less money. A USATK in particular is on a par with any stingray I've played.

12. limit6

limit6 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Philly, PA
    The ATK is beefier and better. And it's a stingray killer. And I love mine and I'd never ever sell it! As you can see, my stingray is for sale now. Even after I modded my stingray with Nordstrand my ATK was still more pleasing.

13. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    :eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow:
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Music-Man-StingRay-5String-Bass-Guitar?sku=515556

Maybe my post seemed a little to harsh.:confused: It wasn't my intention to rip on Stingrays or people who like them.

But I stand by my original point. In any rational, measurable way they aren't $1000 (or $900 if you'd rather) better than an ATK.

Anyway, all I was trying to say is that the ATK is a heck of a bass for the money.

14. RiddimKing

RiddimKing

Dec 29, 2004
    You can get a Stingray new for under $1000 at GC pretty often. It seems every few months they clear out old inventory and drop the price to around $950. These won't be the premium woods (usually black painted body, maple board), but still, if you're jonesing for a 'ray, you can do good at a good price.

15. I've owned a SR5 and just got a ATK700. I like them both.

Mike

16. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

+1.

Are my Stingrays worth 3x what a ATK is? Maybe not to most, but for me it is.

17. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I think that's true.

With the Stingray, you can leave off "for the money".

And yes, I had an ATK fiver, way back in....95? Something like that.

18. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Yeah. I had no problem paying more for the Stingray and look forward to owning another someday. I'll almost certainly never own an ATK.

Whether it's a 'killer' or not is in the eye of the beholder. Everyone has different needs as far as feel and response and overall sound go. While the differences are subtle, they are different basses. Lakland and Fender both make Jazz basses and a lot of people consider the JO or DJ to be 'killers' of the era basses they are emulating, but a lot of other people can easily justify having both without having any consideration for brand loyalty.

19. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    My '94 ATK sounds better than my '96 Stingray did, but my '80 'Ray sounded as good and the '80 Sabre sounded better. All of them played great, tho. If I had unlimited money, I'd have kept the older MM's and the ATK, instead of just keeping the ATK.

20. manutabora

manutabora

Aug 14, 2007
    Iowa City, IA
    My very personal and probably worthless opinion on this matter is this:
    I find ATK's and G&L's very sterile sounding, as if they don't have a voice of their own.
    Ultimately, though, you have to let your ears decide.