Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is the average used fretless in better shape than the average used fretted bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Oct 28, 2003.

1. From most of the used fretless basses I've seen in shops, and the majority of the pictures I've seen here in the for sale section, I'd say yes.

Is it that fretless players are more serious, therefore they take better care of their instruments? (not a flame at anyone)

Is it that fretless basses are used in fewer styles of music, therefore they get less use in general over an average instrument's lifespan?

What else could it be?

This observation crept up on me subtly.

What do you think?

Mike :)

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    It could be that fretlesses are, in general, carried rarely in stock and they are, in general, much fewer and farther between than fretted. Thus, it is hard to replace such an instrument and the keeper takes better care of it.

3. I own and play both but my fretted instruments get used more then the fretless. I would guess and say this is often the reason.

Fretless get used less.

Oh, yea, and most fretless players use flats wound strings too.

[​IMG]
    Treena

4. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    I have to agree that the fretless basses I see in stores are usually in much better condition then their fretted counterparts. I bought ( well i traded actually) a Peavey Foundation fretless from the store where I teach. From the first day that I went in the store, this bass was there. After 3 years, I made an offer on it. This bass is mint. Untouched (ALMOST) considering that it was at least 10 years old when I first saw it. Theres a MIM fretless Jazz hanging up there thats in great condition as well. The other basses get banged around and show the abuse. Less general use from the public and better care from those who use them results in basses that appear to be in better condition IMHO.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Feidly wannabes can't get that 1337 slap sound on a fretless. So new ones stay new, and tend to be bought by serious players with respect for their instruments.

And that is the reason that most used ones are so clean.

6. My fretless, a Steinberger XL, looks like hell. And no, not just because it's a Steinberger.
    There goes that theory.

7. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Fretless players are more (flame away!) about actual musicianship than fretted rockers - and as such show more respect for their instruments. I see fretless as an extension of db; seperates the real from the players.

Not that all fretted players are rockers (w/o a clue)... but it's pretty easy to find out skilled bassists by their competency with a fretless.

:bassist: :D :spit: