1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is the bass too high in this mix? Smashing Pumpkins rehearsal footage from 1993.

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by BusyFingers, Dec 21, 2017.

1. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    I think this is how bass should be in a live rock mix, in my opinion. Hot and heavy, without taking up any of the guitar's frequencies.

The music doesn't actually begin until the 6 minute and 40 second mark:

2. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    If anything, I would EQ some of the bass frequencies out a tiny bit to tighten it up some.

3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Wow.

I had completely forgotten that Billy used to have hair

4. pigpen1

pigpen1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2017
    Could be the headphones I'm on right now, but I'd kill a little highmids on it so that it isn't battle the guitar as much and goes back into its pocket. It's not so bad when both guitars are both strumming chords, but other times is too much (in the high mids for me). Or just add some dyn processing so that it smoothes her right hand out a little

5. Bass is very forward in that audio. Most of the time there's a not a whole lot of interest in the guitar chang chang chang chang patterns so no conflict with the bopping bass.

But nothing like the studio sound.

Whoever put the vid together had a crush on the bass player.