1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is the Bergantino IP112 worth it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SteveC, May 12, 2010.

1. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have a Genz Benz shuttle 6.0-12T combo. I like it a lot, but have been debating a Bergantino HT112 cab. Then I thought, while I'm at it, why not an IP cab? I like the idea of a nice cab and power amp and the ability to try different pres - kind of like a pre/amp/cab system but more consolidated.

So, are the IP cabs all they seem to be?

2. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I had the IP112ER and it's a great piece of gear. In addition to the cost of the IP you have to add a preamp and I went through a bunch until I was happy. In the end I sold It and I'm happier with the sound of my current setup at 1/2 the price.

3. Get an IP cab plus an external Sadowsky preamp (unless you have a Sadowsky bass) and then run it all through a Sansamp VT pedal. Sweet clean tones and then stomp on the VT pedal for gooey, tubey SVT grind. Carry the pedals in your gig bag, the IP in one hand and rock the show! Sounds like a sweet (albeit expensive) deal to me.

4. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Yeah, the cost...I was thinking about an HT112ER and a micro head - like a GB Shuttle 9.0. I also like the Avalon U5 as a pre and DI which got me thinking about a powered cab.

I'm probably better off with an HT/head or keeping my 6.0-12T combo.

5. Bass Junkie

Bass Junkie

Nov 3, 2009
    Florida
    I had 3 IP112's and a IP112ER. Like JXBass and some other people I know, I went through a bunch of preamps, preamps that would sound just fine through a power amp but didn't work well with the IP. Seems that there are only a couple of pres that work well with the IP and they can get pretty pricey. The HT112ER is an outstanding cab and you'd be better off IMO with that cab and the Shuttle 9.0.

6. And to simplify even more, any full size 112 is going to perform better than the very small and low end attenuated Shuttle 112 combo cab. It's actually a very nice sounding 112 for its size, but in no way competes with a full size 112 in SPL and especially low end.

The Shuttle 6 with a NeoX112, an AE112, an HT112ER.. whatever suits the OP's tone goals... will be a vast improvement at gig volume over that little Shuttle cab IMO.

7. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    The Shuttle 112 cab is actually larger by a couple inches than the Bergie. I know size isn't everything. Just pointing out it isn't a small cab.

Anyway, I think you're right on the Bergie probably being an improvement. I have a deal in the works for a trade of a bass I don't use for a Shuttle 9.0 and Berg HT112ER. I'm thinking I should take it.

8. +1 The Berg 112's are very compact, but are an ENTIRELY different thing from the Shuttle 112 in terms of full range tone. I prefer the AE112 myself, since I like it a little tighter and grindier. However, the HT112ER gets great reviews also, and should be deeper, smoother, fatter. The Genz NeoX112 is killer also.. quite large, but lightweight, and somewhat similar to the AE112 in voicing (although even brighter and grindier to my ear).

Any of these should open up the low end nicely versus what you have now, even using the Shuttle 6.

9. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I'd say play it, hear it then decide.

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have actually been pretty impressed with the Shuttle 6.0/12, and it seems to have a decent amount of low end extension for its size. Of course, the Shuttle head is a bit low-end attenuated, itself. If you add the Shuttle extension 1x12, it is a very giggable rig, IME/IMHO.

Now, as to the IP112, whether or not it's worth it depends upon your tone goals, related gear, etc. I think it's an amazing little cab, but yes, finding the right preamp to use with it is key, for sure.

Tom.

Zbysek likes this.
  11. +1.. surely it doesn't totally suck, but also does not keep up with most other 112's IME, from quite a few A/B comparisons. For a small, very lightweight cab, it surely ain't bad, but not in the same league as the other 112's mentioned IMO.

Of course, if you use the extension cab, things get quite a bit better, but that is true of doubling up any single cab.:smug:

12. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    do it, do it, do it, do it :D:p

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yeah, that would be a great rig, I'm thinking.

14. you should take it. except that the IP is so intriguing.

robb.

15. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    If I do anything I'd go HT. That's the smart move. The IP is intriguing, but in the end probably not the best solution.

16. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    No one piece of gear is right for everyone. I found the IPs satisfy my needs. I was one of those pre searchers. The long of that was instead of trying dedicated bass pres that the IPs were designed to use we tried everything that had an XLR out on it:)! This led to very mixed results. DIs with unity gain, Channel Strips, Headphone practice amps, Home Studio Computer Interfaces some "worked" some didn't

Then there is the incredible band width of the IP. A pre from the 80s that sounded fantastic through a Phase Linear or older Crown sounds small or narrow.
    I can't see this as the fault of the IP. It's new technology. When TB folks say they prefer the LMII on this cab but say the F1 sounds better on a different cab it's a characteristic not a fault.

If price is an object why look at something out of one's price range and then poo poo it for it's price? Meyers cost what they cost. If they sound like you want them to and you can afford them then buy. But they aren't actually too expensive. The company seems to be doing fine without our more limited funds.:)

I put sound first then buy what I can afford. Sometimes my gas disappears, then the IP is suddenly a less expensive purchase over a ten year period. It cheaper to get on with gigging then flipping gear. Yes flipping gear can be very entertaining!:)

17. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I don't think I was poo pooing it for cost. I may have stated it was expensive...
    Flipping gear is entertaining, but costly at any level.

18. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    No, I wasn't speaking to you directly but generally. Sry!

19. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I can say that the IP sounds so good to me that I don't have to look at it and say, "what's going on?. I do look at it and say, "WOW!"

20. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I get what you're saying...