Is the Bow Flex BS or not?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Due to work and kids I can't get to the Y until about 9pm, so I'd rather have a home solution. The problem is, I have no one to spot, limited space, and most "home gym" type things are crap. I have heard good things about the bowflex though. Anyone have one? Is it good or a big waste of money?
  2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    It's reasonably good, from what I've heard, but you'll get a big surprise when you get the bill.

"Try it free for 30 days for only 19.95" - yeah right.

That's 19.95 for the first month, and then every month after that for about five years.

It's way overpriced, IMO. Go down to your local park, and use the jungle gym. Way better return per dollar, IMO. :)
  3. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Yeah its cool but i agree it is high priced! You might try other co. like golds and see what they have. they r cheaper. But yeah not as compact. I will also say this if you want the bow fles get the package with everything you want. Because it is more expensive to add on later!
  4. Bruce B

Bruce B

Sep 2, 2004
    If you have room get a power rack and an Olympic weight set. It's more versatile and you don't need a spotter with the rack.
  5. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    No room. I wish I did though.
  6. I've got one. I love it, however, it isnt as versatile as they say... 60 exercises bah, some of them are crap and there is like 3 variations of bench press where you dont really change anything... I also have troubles working out some muscle groups. Forinstance my biceps, I odont even use the bowflex, I just bought some dumbbells to do curls with because well, the bowlex sucks for it. Otherwise it is an awsome machine, works nicely for back, peck's, tri's, lat's, legs(if you get the attachment), basically all the basic muscle groups....

If you did deadlifts etc at the gym you'll be missing out on that kind of thing, which also worked out your abs so you miss that too.... but if your in it for overall fitness and not a complete gym rat I would suggest it. It is pricy, I bought mine for 750USD slightly used, with 210lbs of resistance and a leg attachment. I actually prefer it to some excercises in the gym like benchpress. Stabalizers are worked really well too.
  7. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I'm just looking to get in better shape, that's all. I sit in front of computers all day... life is big MS or Adobe progress bar so I need find ways to avoid strokes, heart attacks etc. Weekends are good with the kids, the dog and the park but otherwise I'm becoming a potato.

thanks, this was just the type of review I was hoping for.
  8. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    If it's good enough for Walker, Texas Ranger, then it's good enough for me.

brad cook
  9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    They work well. I agree that the $2200 price tag for a new one is crazy. They do make a stripped down mini version for about $900 brand new. I see the deluxe ones on my local craigslist quite a bit for $500-700. That price seems fair to me.

10. jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Might a suggest looking for a used piece of equipment? Beacuse of their size, when people are ready to admit they are not using it, they want them out of the house, pronto. I picked up a used wieght machine (NOT BOWFLEX) for $20.00 by visiting our community forum's classifieds. And I am not a used stuff bargain hunter.

Not that you'll find a deal that good, but you can do better if price is a concern.

Second, want to get in better shape? Play Playing with my son's team (15-16 yrs. old) twice a week did more for me than all the machines in my community gym.
  11. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Well, if just staying in shape is your goal, I would look at a used exercise shop for a nice stationary bike, and a couple sets of dumbells to start off with. That should keep you going until you can get more things. I know exercise equipment is expensive, but I bet if you look around, you'll be able to find some cheap gear at a store. Look for ads in the paper placed by middle-aged, Hagan Daz-eating women for equipment that sat around not being used. Those are pretty good bargains considering they're new.;)
  12. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I really don't want to play soccer in the dark by myself, but looking for used stuff is a good idea, I'll check that out too.
  13. +1 A good set of free weights, a medicine ball and perhaps a Swiss ball are really all you need. You can adjust every single exercise you would do on a $2200 machine for a similar movement with your dumbbells and get the same result.

Muscles don't need exacting exercises - in fact they benefit from free weight workouts because they have to learn to balance the weight.
  14. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    No room for free weights guys, one of the pluses I was looking for in a machine is a space saving design. Also, I have no spotter for free weights.
  15. Bruce B

Bruce B

Sep 2, 2004
    Body weight exercises are great too. Push ups, chin ups/pull ups, Hindu squats, burpees...

I agree with dumbbells too. With a bench and a good set of dumbbells you can do a lot. There are books written about just that.

I guess what I'm saying is a bowflex would be my last choice for working out.
  16. Bruce B

Bruce B

Sep 2, 2004
    You don't need a spotter with dumbbells. You might want some protection for the floor though if you are going to be ditching them ;) A small bench and set of dumbbells would probably take up less space than a bowflex. A lot cheaper too.
  17. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    It does need to go upstairs. Let me think about the dumbell thing, that could maybe work. I like the rowing machine and leg options of the machines through.... I hate stationary bikes.
  18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    As far as I'm concerned any home gym solution has potential, just as long as you don't view it as a shortcut and/or magic key into getting fit like they advertise them.

Sure, you can't do *everything* on an all-in-one gym and what you can do might not be quite as effective as what you can do with other equipment blahblahblah... but ultimately, as with all physical fitness and weight training and the likes, it's not really about the gear you're using, it's how you use it and all that jazz.

That said, you really can do more than you might think with your body, a good pair of a free weights and a bench.(cheers bruce b)
  19. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I am thinking of it as a means to get to the working out in a quicker easier way than going to the Y basically. I know it's still up to me to go use it, but I'm thinking it would be better than driving somewhere.
  20. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    you could bike to the Y :p