1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is the DB750 going away?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brewster, Apr 8, 2009.

1. brewster

brewster

Oct 28, 2004
    Prices are down at the dealers, and they're saying limited to stock on hand, is the DB750 discontinued in favor of the DB751? Should I stock up? Can't see any indication at the Aguilar site. Thanks!

2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    The DB750 is indeed going away. It used to say that on the Aguilar site, but I haven't been on there in about a week...

3. jjk2007

jjk2007

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA Bass Systems
    Yes, it is going away in favor of the 751. If the price is right and the amp suits your needs then stock away.

4. brewster

brewster

Oct 28, 2004
    That's what it looks like, selling the stock on hand and done. Guess if a guy's on the fence, he better get on down...

5. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Yes

6. naturalkinds

naturalkinds

Jan 22, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Hope so, because then I might actually be able to afford one!

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It states on the Aguilar website that the 750 is discontinued.

8. This is killing me... I've wanted one of these for a while now and they are discontinuing them. I can't afford it but have an open credit line at the Friend.... ugh! Not sure I should go for it as I have never played one but everything I've read indicates it's the king of current production amps. Debating if I should sell my Peavey Classic 400 and Bongo to put money towards one...

9. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Credit = bad.

Save your change and buy it used.

10. Probably wise advice! GAS and sense don't go together...

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Once they're gone, I can't see the price do anything but rise, so if you can find a deal on one now, I'd probably snag it.

12. afroman

afroman Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You can find a used one all the time here in TB and on the 'Bay.
    Get one now before prices go up.

Thank God I already have one,it's not going anywhere.

13. YCBass

YCBass

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    Best price I've seen so far is on Ebay from Bass Specialties - $1849 BIN w/ free shipping.

Now someone can tread the fine line of holding out for the price to go even lower but risk it running out of stock.

Good luck to whoever! I've got mine and I am good to go, though I wish I can afford a backup.

14. But won't the 751 be worth hanging out for? I mean its just an updated version of the 750 isn't it?? And it may be better to save your pennies for the new one.

15. brewster

brewster

Oct 28, 2004
    Unless of course the DB751 is indeed a superior machine; however, I think it's probably more the inevitable changes in manufacturing to keep the costs in line with what the majority of the market is willing to pay and that can be produced at a acceptable profit.

16. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I'm interested in hearing how the DB751's differently voiced EQ either adds, or doesn't add, to the already signature tone of the DB750. I"m one who is more in love with the feeling of power the Aggie gave rather than the EQ, which never quite did it for me. I always wanted more kick in the low/hi-mids.

17. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I'd say this is contingent on the success of the 751. If people decide that the 751 is trying to take the country out of the country boy, then the demand for used 750's will rise. However, if the 751 proves to be an all-around improvement, then 750's will be less interesting, and prices will fall.

To the OP: I'd say right now, the biggest driver is the economy. Right now, nothing is selling for what it was worth 18 months ago. With hard times still ahead, there will be chances to grab 750's at decent prices. If you can't afford it now, don't break your bank trying to grab remaining stock items.

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    i dunno, H-man...

whether or not people have heard the 751 is sorta moot, cause cmon, we all know that the 750 ROCKS, and they're out there at blow out prices.

so, if you have the coin, right now is the best time to get one that comes w/ free guaranteed peace of mind, i.e. that full aguilar warranty!!!

but yea, 750's are built like flippin tanks, and at least IME, i havent heard of that many problems w/ guys using their used 750s.

19. 98mtd

98mtd

May 24, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    The DB750 is KING!

20. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    I still think that naming that amp the 751 was an odd marketing move. To me it connotes just a little bit of an improvement over the 750 which, IMO, is perfect already. They should have taken the lead from Boeing and named it the 760, then in ten years they could have come up with the 770. If they named the 750 originally for its 750 watts then they should respected that tradition and either named the 751 the 750+ or if they're going to call it the 751 they should have designed it to put out 751 watts.
    Oh well, I'm really really happy with my 750 and I wish Aguilar the best of success with their 751.