Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is the DBX 160A worth $400

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by camerondye, Aug 17, 2004.

1. camerondye

camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    I see a lot of rack compressors and this seems like an easy to use compressor, but is it worth $400. Does anyone know how the 160a compares to the older 163x or a? Any rack ideas out there, my behringer rack compressor is a little noisier than I want. Thanks for all the help...
    Cameron

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's worth it.

3. camerondye

camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    What is the difference between 160x & 160a?

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    from what the nice folks at dbx just told me the 160x and 160xt were predecessors to the 160a
    no real difference operation wise - just the product kept improving as far as components

5. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    If you don't mind a used unit, do a quick search on eBay, you should be able to find one for significantly less.

6. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yup, they're about 250 used - fyi when shopping used check out www.prepal.com, they have a lot of average prices paid for used gear and also indicate if the resale value is going up or down - a great resource
    and don't forget, for popular items like the 160a you should have a cable modem and be prepared to be bidding and refreshing during the last 3 minutes of the auction :cool:

7. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    ok i dunno how to link a thread so im gonna paste what i just posted elsewhere
    sorry for the verbosity :cool:

here's the scoop if you're interested
    the 160x and 160xt were predecessors to the 160A - as time went on better components and some mods were done but they're close
    the 262 project compressor like i have is identical to the compressor part of the 166xl and 266xl
    the compressors and input and output stages and the components used in the 1066 and 1046 are better than those in the 262, 166, and 266
    but..............
    the components, input, and output in the 160A are the top of the line for that design of compressor
    so kiss $400 new or $250 used goodbye
    (i got my 262 for $70 on e-bay :p )
    output transformers are now available as an upgrade to the 160A or you can just order a 160AT
    so i guess it sounds better - still i'd love to hear from anyone who's actually A/B'd the 160A against the lower priced compressors, particularly a 262 :D

8. ammar

ammar

Aug 20, 2005
    Austria
    I'm often buying equipment from the US (am in EU) - currently holding my eyes open for 1 160 unit. 160A (the new model!!!) does not have a 220V/110V switch (probably of no interest to most of you).

9. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Whoa!! The Aphex I want is a lot cheaper than what I expected... Friggin' sweet! Just gotta find one now...

And dammit!! :mad: The Eventides are going up... Crap.

10. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I use the 160X- I bought it used and found the prices to be typically $150-$200. I got mine for $160 shipped.

The 160X is indeed the predecessor to the 160A- the 160A being what HK changed the name to when they bought dBX.

As far as the difference- operationally wise there is none. The 160A has XLR and TRS inputs/outputs while the 160X has TRS and hard wire option. You can not slave one with the other.

Speaking with professional vetern studio sound engineers, most preference was the 160X as many beleives the 160A was the unit made with the inferior components to cut costs. I can not confirm that, as I have not striped the two or even A/B'ed them.

11. WayneP

WayneP

Oct 11, 2004
    Katy, Texas
    I’ve been using a 160X in my rack for several years now. No complaints. It’s easier to use than most compressors and it’s got the coolest LED display that was ever put on a piece of rack-mounted gear. :D

Shouldn’t be hard to find the 160A on eBay, and I expect that they’ll sell for less than the 160X.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt