Is the Eden 410 XLT good for a 5 string

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joe Boom, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I have a line on good deal on a used XLT. I play a Grendel GR5 and an EBMM SR5 through a GK 800 RB. I would like to know

I know the XST is better for low but they do not have an XST.
  2. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I heard Christian McBride and his band last night. He was playing upright and electric through an Eden 4X10 and his tone was incredible. You should have no problem with a 5-string and this cabinet.
  3. XST being better on the low? Where'd you hear that? I have a D210XLT and it is fabulous paired with my Metro (In effect making my rig a 410XLT) XLT vs. XST is a matter of taste, you couldn't go wrong with either one. I say BUY IT!
  4. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I based that statement on the published Eden specs and the review/comments I have read. I should state that it is not on my personal experience. I love the tone of the XLT but just wanted to make sure I would be able to exert my low-end authority as I saw fit.

Thanks for your input.
  5. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    My 4X10XLT did not survive my fiver experience. Two of the drivers failed. While it worked, it sounded good, but the mechanical integrity of the drivers was an issue. I would be safe and look for a 2X15.
  6. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Eden 410-xlt is the industry standard 4x10 bass cabinet! More pro's use that cabinet than any other! Nathan East has used two of them for years and he is a huge player! I have an Eden 410xlt and it is amazing and huge! You should have no problems unless you fry it with wattage!
  7. Havent try the 4x10, but i am currently using a 2x10 xlt, and that cabinet surely can handle my mtd 535 low B without any problem, so I guess that the 4x10 will do it better or at least the same. :)
  8. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I would imagine that your 535 is going to put a cab through it's paces more than my Grendel.
  9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I used a 410XLT on about a thousand gigs in the 90's with my Modulus 5, handled it great!!!
  10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    No issues for me and my XLT. I played it pretty loud a few times and pounded away on the low B. Could it have been better? Sure, but I never saw a good reason to look for something else.

11. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    of course its better in the lows. its built for extended response copmared to the xlt's.

that said, a 410xlt will suit any 5 string very well
  12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    All I play is fivers, and they sound best through my 410XLT.
  13. The sound thing may be a matter of taste etc but gee the cab your talking about is one of the best I've ever heard.
    tone, tone tone.

They sound unbelieveable, they have awsome sensitivity, a +/- 2db response on their advertised range and when eden say 700RMS thats 700RMS.

One of edens best products in my opinion.

What are you waiting for?
  14. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    The guy to call me back.
  15. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Eden originaly developed the XLT because of the increase inpopularity of five strings and they are certantly among the industry standreds for fivers. One tip with any five string, use some compression, thats just a lot of low unstable signal to send to any cabinet. I'd bet that the "loose" low B fives are probably far harder on speaker cabs then the so called tight ones which don't rumble as much.
  16. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    So what amp/pre's are you guys running into the 410XLT to have you singing its praises?
  17. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    The key to making this amp work is using enough power. Most of the problems I have seen people have has been related to not driving the cab with enough wattage (Using a WT300 to drive a 8ohm cab and this usually what cause creases etc. in the cone). I have used mine with both SS and tube amps and the results have been great. Keep in mind, this cabinet is in now way "neutral" has a definite sound and does what it does very well. It really can create chest pounding levels with deep bass. I have changed amps and have added/sold others, but this is the cab I still have and have no plans of getting rid of
  18. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    The guy called back.

19. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Congrats on the cab. I used Eden cabs for years (pair of 2-10 XLTs). I've played through a 410XLT several times because it's often the standard backline for corporate event gigs here. The cab has very good lows, and is very punchy and loud. As indicated in a previous post, Eden cabs have a colored tone which is often characterized as a slight bump in the mid bass. This enables it to stand out in a band mix IMHO. Some players like it, and some don't.