Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is the Eden WT-800 a tube head or NO

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oldirtymoney, Jul 23, 2002.

1. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    is it a tube head or solid state????

2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    solid state power section with a tube in the preamp section

3. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    can you explain to me what the basically means??

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    it uses transistors instead of vacuum tubes to convert the wall power into something useable by the speakers.

but one of the gain stages in the preamp section (tone shaping) is a tube instead of an op-amp.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The WT-800, like all of Eden's WT series (except the WT-1000 power amp) is what you call a hybrid amp. This means that, instead of the signal being amplified by tubes at every stage, or transistors at every stage, the earliest stage in the chain (the pre-amp) is a dual-triode 7025 (or 12AX7) tube. The following power amp stages are field-effect transistors (FET's) that provide lots of power at comparatively low weight. So it's a hybrid of tube and solid-state amplification.

I like this setup, because it results in a clean, modern, hi-fi sound, as opposed to an all-tube amp's "warmth" and "overdrive" which sound like hell on a biscuit. Lotsa power and low weight are important, too, especially for old farts such as my own bad self. All-tube amps weigh approximately one-and-a-half tons (tonnes if you're a Brit), probably due to the gargantuan transformers inside them.

Bottom line, the WT-800 is a superb amplifier, widely used by pros in all genres of music. Don't worry about what your dip-stick guitar player friends say about tube amps. They're fine for guitars, but for bass, they completely blow. Tell them Munji said so.

6. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Trace blows in general. And I didn't realize loudness was an issue.

7. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Besides, I didn't foresee that I'd be setting the hook in PBG's cheek. I shoulda known.

8. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    It's not a question of tube vs. solid state. It's a question of good amp vs. bad amp.

1972 Ampeg SVT (tube) and Eden WT-800 (solid-
    state) = GOOD

Fender Bassman (tube, at least before those new ones came out) and Rogue RB-200 (solid-state) = BAD

okay, so I'll take some flak for that Bassman comment, but someone has to stand up for the truth. :D

What I'm saying is, it doesn't matter what road you take with a bass amp if you get to the right destination. Sticking a tube in the preamp section of a solid state amp doesn't make it "better" than other amps, nor does using tubes to power it. Though that does make it heavier, can't deny that.

9. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    After my town produced the Allman Brothers, it had a thriving rock music scene that basically collapsed after the early seventies. All that's left are bitter, disgruntled old men and their music stores, chock full of inventory from the last time they actually made a sale, 30 years ago. So I've tried a few vintage bassmen (they were some of the first amps I ever played through,) and even then they just didn't appeal to me. How did you old-timers get by with so little headroom?

Your comments are reminiscent of peoples' stories about the Great Depression... "Back when I was a kid, all we had to eat was boiled shoe leather and potted meat... and we liked it, dammit!"

Oh yeah, the comment about the "truth" was meant purely in jest. I was playing off the irony inherent in treating Truth as an absolute.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree - I've tried loads of Trace Elliott stuff in the UK and they definitely have a "generic" sound which I just don't like - it just sounds too "rock" to me. But of course that's personal preference and rock players will probably love it! ;)

But Eden stuff just seems to amplify well and is hence suitable for any genre of music - I like to hear the sound of my bass - not the sounds of a particular amp!

11. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Hey PSB what do you think of the VT300?? Do you think it is superior to an SLM SVT2??

12. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Good summary, man. I own a WT800, meself. It's a good amp for the money in its class. If you had stopped here, you would have provided an intelligent/useful post. ;)

13. Bruce Lindfield

Actually I thought the second half of the post was the more useful !! ;)

And probably required more intelligence or thought!

14. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    Alright you guys answered my main q's not a got another one. I have a ampeg b2r 350 watt head, How much louder will the wt 800 be then my b2r, i only have a 4x10 ampeg cab so i think i was told that i cant use all of the wt 800s power. but anyway say my b2r was a 5 in volume wise, what will the wt 800 be..........7, 8....9. And how much better will it be sound wise on a scale of 1 to 10
    :confused:

15. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    thanks walsh, im goion go to the site right now and see everything it says about my amp

16. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    25.75 x 22.75 x 17.5
    Weight : 91 Pounds
    Component 1: Magnet Weight : 30oz
    Component 1: Size : 4x10'
    Component 1: Voice Coil : 2'
    Component 2: Magnet Weight : 8oz
    Component 2: Size : Horn/Driver
    Component 2: Voice Coil : 1'
    Crossover Frequency : 4kHz
    Frequency Response (-3dB) : 50-18KHz
    Maximum SPL : 125dB
    Nominal Impedance : 4 ohms
    Program Handling : 800 Watts
    RMS Handling : 400 Watts
    Sensitivity : 99dB
    Usable Low Frequency (-10dB) : 40 Hz

About Ampeg | Products | History | Artists | Press | FAQ's | Contact | Logowear | Dealer Locator
    Copyright St. Louis Music, Inc. All rights reserved.

THIS IS EVERYTHING IT TELLS ABOUT MY AMP!!

17. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    so could i get a amp that could put out 600 watts or so without getting another cab

18. Bruce Lindfield

But the first part was probably just copied from a manual or something, while the sarcasm was pure inspiration! :D

19. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Euphonic Audio iAmp 600 is rated at 600 watts into 4 ohms. Only trouble is, I think they're discontinued. They pop up used from time to time, however.

20. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    cool thanks