Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is the Fender American Deluxe P-Bass V good for Urban Gospel music?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by T-Funk, Sep 29, 2005.

1. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    Lately I have been considering the purchase of a Fender American Deluxe Precision V Bass. Is this a good bass for urban gospel and funk?

I tend to utilize finger and slap techniques at a 50/50 ratio. With the traditional P-Bass pickup configuration, I figured the bass would be great for finger techniques. However, will the humbucker pickup at the bridge provide similar results to a Musicman Stingray for slap techniques?

Any feedback would be great. Unfortunately, the bass is unavailable at the local music stores for me to personally test it out. :(

Right now I mostly play a Carvin LB75 with two H50N pickups. It's a decent bass that has served me well over years. But, I am going through another phase of GAS.

Thanks,

Ted

2. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Ted, I tried that bass in a music store awhile back. I was overall impressed with the range of tones it had. However, the double J in the bridge position did not strike me in a Music-Man-Stingray way when soloed. Perhaps a series or parallel switch might bring you closer to the MM vibe, but, I wouldnt expect it to be anything but an approximation.

Both pickups on full have that classic P/J sound only slighttly fatter in the low mids due to the bigger pickup at the bridge. I thought it worked well for slap, but it wasen't a MM sound, it was a modernized Fender sound to me.

That bridge pickup sounded good to me when blended 50/50 with the P for slap. Jaco burps with the P rolled off slightly were easily had.

I really liked that bass, good fingerstyle sound. Your a Carvin man at the moment, ever try Carvins MM-J bass? I have, it works like you described what you want.

3. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    I went from a Stingray to a Fender recently, what I found is the bridge pickup on P did not sound like a Musicman at all. I went with the MIA Deluxe Jazz as I though it more versatile tonewise.

4. I agree.

I never played the 5 string, but played the 4 twice.

The P pup will deliver from mellow, almost Pre-CBS tones to harder, more cutting modern tones. This bass has very nicely voiced and versatile preamp in it.

I didn't play with the bridge pup as much as I experimented with the P pup, but the bridge pup does not sound like a Musicman pup (I own a Stingray) nor exactly like a regular Jazz bass bridge pup. It has its own sound, and from the short time I played it, I liked it very much.

A very versatile bass. :cool:

If I buy another Fender, it will probably be this one.

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with this bass for any type of music.

Mike

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The reason MM's sound like they do and Jazz and P Deluxes don't sound like MM's is because of the placement of the pickup, not the pickup itself so much. Fender pickups are closer to the bridge or closer to the neck so they would pick up more highs and lows than one pickup that's placed in between the two.

6. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    As a previously satisfied Carvin customer, I created a LB75P bass on the company's website with the following options:

BC - Black Hardware
    RB- Round Body Sides (included in P package)
    SW - Asymmetrical Wide 5 String Neck
    HB2 - HB Humbucker (Bridge - included in P package)
    HB2N - HB Humbucker (Neck)
    BMF - Birdseye Maple Fingerboard
    TN - Tung Oil Neck
    Ash - Swamp Ash Body
    FSK - Black Flame Color

Although I am happy with my Carvin products, I feel that I may own too much Carvin equipment, and may continue to be labeled as a "Carvin Man". :D Therefore, I wanted to explore other options. However, I must admit that it is tempting not to buy another Carvin. I love having the ability to create a bass with all the options that I desire at a decent price.

Ted

7. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    Thanks for the replies, everyone! Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

I am going to place on order for the bass tonight. At the very least, I have 45 days to return the bass if I am not satisfied. There is really nothing to lose.

Ted

8. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

The JJ pickup on the Pbass deluxe gives more of a Jaco sound than a MM sound. It is essentially two J pups combined into one, it's going to sound like that.

9. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    After further research, I realized that the Precision Bass I wanted is no longer in production.

The current American Deluxe Precision V Bass version in montego black comes with a gold pickguard that I find extremely unattractive. Why Fender, why? :crying:

I sent Fender an e-mail to ask if I can purchase an off-white or pearl white pickguard.

Ted

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

You can always have a replacement guard custom-made... a number of sites will do that for you. But hopefully you can get the guard you want from Fender.

As for the Fender P Deluxe V: I think it's a great bass. As others have said, you won't get the Stingray sound... I believe this is because the motherbucker is closer to the bridge than the Stingray pup. But you'll be able to get some nice growly slap tones out of it. I'd suggest using both pickups, but favoring the bridge pickup.

11. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Eh, if I want a wide array of Fender to Musicman sounds, you might want to check out G&L.

12. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    My Fender American Deluxe Precision V bass arrived today. In my opinion, it is absolutely incredible. As others have stated, this bass is extremely versatile. It is by far the best sounding bass that I presently own.

Also, the bass looks much better than I had anticipated. The gold pickguard doesn't look bad at all.

Thanks again for the feedback, everyone!

Ted

13. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I'm glad you're happy.

Does anybody kno what the difference is between the JJ on the 4 on on the V? Because the 5er has that Fender Roscoe bass lookin' pups. Do the the JJs on the 4 sound different from the "JJ"s on the V?

14. Glad you're happy with your new bass, T-Funk. :cool:

Enjoy.

Mike

15. I'm glad you're happy.. BTW, could you please describe the neck of that bass compared to other basses (Stingray..)? Is it very bulky? I've always been interested in getting a 5-string P, but I've been turned off by really HUGE necks (they mostly feel huge to my short fingers, at least).

Thanks and enjoy!

16. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    To my knowledge, the present Fender American Deluxe Precision basses have the same neck as the Fender American Deluxe Jazz basses. This has not always been the case, which is one reason I never purchased a Fender Precision bass in the past.

In my opinion, the neck seems more flatter than a Musicman, but the fretboard appears to have a wider surface area. Overall, the neck is comfortable.

Ted

17. Thanks, I was hoping it's not as bulky as Rays seem to be.