is the Fender Deluxe Jazz that much better....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Soapbox Prophet, Jul 8, 2001.

1. Is the Fender Deluxe Jazz bass that much better than the standard...i know the significance of active pickups and all, but is it worth that much more? The local music store here doesnt have a Deluxe for me to compare the Standard to and i really like the Standard as it is. So would the Deluxe be all that much more better than the Standard?
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  3. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yes. All that much.
  4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    My deluxe J is my main axe,I sold my standard J cause imo the deluxe is that much nicer.
  5. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    It's only better if you like active tone better than passive tone. Me, I would buy the Deluxe.
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Well, actually it's more than that. Fender keeps changing model names, so are we talking MIM Standard vs. MIM Deluxe Active (formerly MIM Deluxe) or an MIA American Series (formerly MIA Standard) vs. MIA Deluxe?

For MIM: the Deluxe Active model has MIA pickups and electronics, in fact the same as was used in the original MIA Deluxes (new MIA Deluxes have different pickups now, though....confused yet?). Otherwise the MIM basses are the same in terms of wood, hardware, etc. The MIA pickups are fully humbucking which is a BIG deal since the MIM Standards are known to have hum issues. I think the Active sounds much better, the MIM Standard pickups are pretty ho hum.

For MIA: the Deluxe has a downsized body (which you may or may not like), a 22 fret neck and you can string through the body or through the bridge (American Series is through body only). So the basses are really very different beyond the electronics.
  7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The main differences are:

USA Standard---------USA Deluxe
    Passive p/u's----------Active w/3 band EQ
    Standard body size----slightly downsized body
    20 frets---------------22 Frets
    The neck on both basses feel totally different.

There are cosmetic differences such as the logo on the USA DLX is chrome, it has abalone dot inalys. I personally like the feel of the USA DLX. The slightly smaller body is more comfortable to me. I wasent too happy with the sound of the USA DLX's w/ the newer "Noiseless" P/U's. A/B'ed the older DLX's & the newer DLX's & I like the sound of the older ones better.
  8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The USA Deluxe has passive pickups, too...with a 3 band preamp as mentioned.

I have 1997 MIA JD5's and I prefer the sound of them to the newer ones. More bite.