Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is the Fender Precision dying?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skel, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    With so many choices these days, and technology where even a Jazz bass can sound just like a precision, is the Precision bass dying? Or are there plenty of pro's still using a good 'ole precision?

Skel

2. macahan

macahan

Mar 22, 2005
    Karlstad, Sweden
    hell no.. That is never gonna happen...

3. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    which jazz bass can sound just like P?:confused: :)

4. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis
    I don't think they're dying. I also don't think anything sounds like a P other than a P. Yeah, Fender has S-1 Switching... but it doesn't make the Jazz sound just like a P. Close, but no cigar.

I honestly can't see the P going anywhere.

5. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I've never personally been a fan of the P-bass, but I don't think it will ever die off. It definetly has its uses, and its sound really can't be matched.

6. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    i've never heard a Jazz bass sound just like a Precision

7. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    No way is the P dying. The number of interviews I read in magazines where the recording bass of choice is a P bass seems to be growing. Live might be a different matter where an artist is looking to recreate many varied tones, but in the studio at least, the solid fundamental P bass tone seems to be ever there.

8. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Umm...didn't Fender just announce that 2006 was the last year that they would produce a Precision Bass model?

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The P will never die, it's a classic and most of what you hear on albums, in one form or another is a P.

10. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Absolutely not! In fact, it's probably the most popular bass at the rock shows I attend, whether it's a modern effects-heavy band like Autolux or a veteran like Patti Smith. I've noticed that many of the best players rely on the old standby, and mine is slowly but surely overtaking my Jazz as my number one.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Nope. It's been an april Fool's joke ever year since about 1955. :D

12. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Don't get me wrong. When I hear John Paul Jones' stuff on the old Zep albums - I've never heard better tone in my life. I LOVE a precision. I guess I meant that a jazz could sound close enough, or the player my opt for a Sadowski instead, and so many other brands of basses, amps and speaker cabs have changed so much, etc.

Skel

13. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    It ain't going nowhere. That sound cannot be duplicated with other pickup/active schemes. It all depends on the genre, but for my musical tastes most of the Pros I see are only using Precisions. And if you know how to use it, the Pbass has several different tones in there.

14. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Sounds like a lot of you are seeing the Precision still heavily used by pros....good. Remember, I'm talking about a *Fender* Precision.

Skel

15. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

uuhhmmm ... i think JPJ used a Jazz Bass on the early records ...

16. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    No, just the opposite.
    The percision is more popular now than it has been in the last 20 years.
    The jazz became the standard in the middle 80's.
    Thanks, to Jaco, Marcus, John Paul Jones, ect.
    In the last 5 years, more players, Pino, Bob Glaub, Bob, Babbitt, and Hip Hop recording. have gone to P-bass and flats.
    The Percision will never die.
    It's simply the most recorded around.

17. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    That's a pretty broad statement. :rolleyes:

I love the P bass sound, never really used one except for a couple times at a friend's studio, and even then it was a mexi P....let's just say it wasn't the greatest axe ever made. ;) I don't think the P bass will be going anywhere either, I think the popularity may have declined a bit but IMO it'll be around for a few years to come yet. :)

AuG

18. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    AFAIK - No it's not dying and yes, plenty of pros use Precisions.

Marshall

19. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado

Insert foot in mouth?

Skel

20. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I could never make my J sound "just like a P"!!

There's still plenty of Ps in use out there...why else do you suppose so many makers offer P-style basses?