1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is the Fleabass any good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tupac, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    I've never tried one, has anyone here played on before?

2. Yep, the good ones are pretty nice for the price but the problem, or so I've heard, is that there are plenty of bad ones out there so buying sight unseen would not be a good idea. They two I tried were a little weak in the low-end department but nothing that couldn't be countered by a little bass boost.

3. jordak

jordak

Apr 7, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It's a no frills bass with a bridge humbucker and some wacky colors. Flea has played one on stage a few times and RHCP fans didn't seem to mind. My roommate last year had the blue/orange touring model and it was pretty nice. I don't have any experience with the street or 32'' models.

It won't impress a gear snob, but it should serve you better than any squier or gibson style epi. I think it compares well to deans, Peaveys, and ESPs in the same price range.

You may have a thing for split coils or j style pickups, or you might want to blend bridge/neck combinations for different tones. If so, this probably isn't what you're looking for.

Just my opinion - but that's what you wanted, right?

4. I played one of the "good ones" once. I was surprised at how well it played and sounded. Good slappin' bass.

5. Manolius

Manolius

Apr 12, 2010
    Never tried one but to me it kinda looks like a toy. ( just look-wise. Don't like the style)

6. owenkillerB5

owenkillerB5

Jun 15, 2011
    They are similar to a mexi fender. Just add a bone nut with a good setup and they rock

7. jordak

jordak

Apr 7, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I think that's part of the appeal :smug:
    Even if the idea of it looking like a toy bothers you, I can assure you that it doesn't feel like a toy.

The Fleabass definitely isn't for everyone, but if you're on a budget and want something that stands out a little, it's a great option.

8. jordak

jordak

Apr 7, 2011
    Queens, NY
  9. Wannaflea

Wannaflea

Jun 7, 2011
    Jersey, CI
    I recently bought a Fleabass Street Bass and frankly I can't rate it highly enough.
    I got mine in silver and the finish just glitters, it SCREAMS disco! The strings are really quite bright and perfect for slap but the 'bucker gives enough punch to cut through quite easily. Essentially, it's good for everything Flea uses in his playing, namely aggresive finger style and slap. You really will stand out with one of these.

The difference between the Streetbass and the Touring bass (other than around $200 :ninja: ) is the body wood type. I THINK that the Touring is alder whereas the Street is basswood, but don't quote me on that, I'm really not sure. I've played both and in my opinion, there's very little difference, I'd say the Streetbass has more punch IMO. My #1 bass is a Fender Jazz with upgraded pups and bridge and I really would have no worries gigging the Fleabass. I have 4 basses at home and I'm always asked to play the Fleabass, simply because it looks so good - I'd reccomend the silver finish, website pictures simply don't do it justice.

Pros: Amazing looks, Really good worksmanship (better build quality to Squiers I've used), great ergonamics (even has a contoured neck joint - quite handy!), fantastic tone, easy to upgrade (the general upgrade is an EMG 35 which is a drop in I BELIEVE) and price - it's so damn cheap!

Cons: Definately not for you if you HATE Flea's music and prefer flats on a p-bass :p , the pickguard is stuck with industrial double sided tape HOWEVER this REALLY isn't an issue unless you take pleasure in chisteling the sides of your guard.

All in all, I'd reccomend this bass to all levels of players. I've played and owned Musicman's (Musicmen? :ninja: ) and the only real difference in tone is the EQ in MMs. So basically it's high enough quality for high level players to use, and cheap enough for beginners to access.
    You won't regret a buy! :bassist: (unless you're a jazz fiend :ninja: )

Yes! I was going to link a Davidsinrocks video but I see it's already been done. He doesn't happen to have a TB account does he? I love that guy and I've even stolen a few of his licks :bag:

10. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I've played two - both felt cheap and cheesy to me, but that's only a sample size of 2.

11. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
  12. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I played the shortscale one a friend bought so she can learn bass. And I liked it enough I played it for most of the practice she brought it to. Sounded good, played easy.
    As long as it inspired her is all that mattered to me. She bought it a year and half ago, and still uses it today in her band.