1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is the G&L L2500 a modern sounding bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Emanuel Apascaritei, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Yes!

89 vote(s)
    44.7%
  2. No!

28 vote(s)
    14.1%
  3. Carrots!

82 vote(s)
    41.2%
  1. Thanks!

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    It depends on how you set set it, what you're playing it through, and your style.

IME yes, it's modern sounding, but I run mine on full. Both pickups in series with the preamp on.

3. wong99

wong99

Jun 6, 2012
    Compared to a tuba the answer would be yes.

5. I would say that it can sound modern or vintage depending on your string selection, amp and speaker set up, and settings on the bass itself. With both pickups on full and pre-amp on in series, it is a very modern, low-mid tone. There is a substantial amount on high end clarity as well, with the option to boost the highs (for slap, or as the strings age and lose brightness)

I would not string this bass with steels, as it is very aggressive tonally. But with round core, nickel strings (DR SUNBEAMS on mine) it is a great finger style sound.

As for the Tribute/US debate, I have played both, and for 700 dollars out the door for the tribby, the subtle differences in neck feel (yes the U.S. is nicer in this aspect, and comes in several various nut widths and fret profiles) had to be overlooked. The pickups and electronics are the same in both, however.

The Tribute L-2500 has been my main stage bass for 3 years now, and delivers every gig, night after night. Hope this helps.

6. I think an L2500 can do whichever sound you might need from it. I've had great luck with some old-school tones from mine, but IMO the bass just shines that bit brighter when I set it for a more modern tone.

Martin

7. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    Very subjective question; I have had two L2500's and I like a lot but I did not think that they were modern sounding next to my Stingray5, my Ibanez RD500 or my Washburn Status. I would describe the tone as kind of a souped up Fender type of sound with some hints at a Musicman type of sound in certain settings.

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Modern like MTD?
    No.

They're pretty mid forward, pretty raw, and the highs aren't as "airy or extended" as something like an MTD.

The new M-Series might be a bit more like that.

9. well like a MTD maybe not but what about like a Smith? wich is kind of mid forward as well. If I could I´d buy a BSR5 right now!

10. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I've never played a Smith, sorry....

11. All basses made in the last 10 years have a modern sound. all made between 10 and 30 years ago have a semi-contemporary sound, older than that, sound wonderfully vintage. Whatever vintage means, I have no idea.

12. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods!

I would say that I have a tough time getting a vintage sound out of my my L-2500 USA. I end up having to use it in passive, with only the neck P/U.

For modern rock, the switch is on active, both Pups and it game on! It really is an agressive sound compared to the Fenders. I cant speak for MM.....yet.

13. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    In passive mode I think the sound can be modern enough. It's a beautiful sweet thing with a lot of clarity.

In active mode its too thick, beefy, and "big balls" to be modern to my ears. Raw is a good word.

In the bar band I don't use the L-2500 I use a MIA Fender P bass because the G&L sound is a bit too huge, heavy, and out of balance for our sound.

Whatever, you sure can get a massive tone out of it.

14. sratas

sratas

Dec 15, 2007
    Parma, Italy
    yes, the bass leads to modern tones. Maybe you could obtain even old-school tonal clones, but the nature of the bass is rather modern.

15. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Elkhart, IN
    Define "modern". Oh, wait, you can't. Never mind.

16. PluckyThump

PluckyThump

Jan 4, 2008
    The Hammer
    Yes it is modern sounding overall. You can make it sound vintage with the right strings and settings but it definitely does modern better than it does vintage. Sound-wise it is like a Fender on steroids. It does not sound "boutique-modern", like a Fodera, F-Bass or Sadowsky or any of the fancy J-bass types.

17. Exactly, that´s why I wanted to know everyones opinion

18. sratas

sratas

Dec 15, 2007
    Parma, Italy
    define life, universe, infinite, GOD. Oh, wait...

Dude, this is talkbass, ok?

19. Dominic DeCosa

Dominic DeCosa Habitual Line-Stepper Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 9, 2008
    Vero Beach, Florida
    DiCosimo Audio
    The Tributes use the exact same pickups as the US basses. However, there was a short period, I believe around 2006-2007, when they were accidentally winding then pickups too hot.

20. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    The new G&L's are definitely modern sounding compared to my '81 L-2000e, a stone age sounding instrument with cave man pickups. And just the way I like it.