1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

is the g & l tribute kinda like the fender squire or MM S.U.B???

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by Little Cricket, May 2, 2006.

1. I want to start by saying I hope no Tribute owner is offended by the thread. I plan on owning one soon too. I played a G&L the other day for the first time and was really impressed with sound and playability. It was at the Sam Ash in hollywood and the price was about $1600. I came home to do a little research and found GLs on ebay for about $500 and then only realized that there was a Tribute series. I have searched this forum and most people say they love their Tribute and is very comparable to the "real thing" but one report said that they don't even say that it is a tribute but tell people it is a G&L. It kinda sounded like they were embarrassed that it was a tribute and I have seen similar behavior with people who own Squires. I don't want to offend anyone, and personally i see nothing wrong with a squire (reggie wooten plays one on bass day dvd), but I just want to know if that is pretty much the analogy?

2. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I own both a Squier and a Tribute, and each one is a very nice instrument. The Squier Precision has a beautiful one-piece maple neck, and sounds killer. The name on the headstock has little to do with the sound that comes out of the amp...with the understanding that there are always good ones and bad ones, whether cheap or expensive. Try before you buy, especially used. The Tribute is beautifully made, comfortable to play, and has a great range of sounds. I have read about a couple of used ones having twisted necks (the Tributes are made with a single piece of maple, rather than the split/reversed lamination in the G&L) but mine's too new to show any signs. I suspect, too, that all those who own Tributes with straight necks don't say anything about it.

Overall, while I hear stories of poorly made recent Squiers, my actual experience with the ones I have played (a JB and this P) has been totally positive.

3. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    The Tributes share so much of what a "real" G&L is made up of that the comarison between the Tribs and the US models is justified. Same pups, electronics, same style bridge and in some cases same bodywoods. Teh biggest difference is the pots and the neck. The neck is a standard style bass neck as opposed to the bi-cut style a US model uses.

4. thanks to both responses on the tribute. I actually found a thread after i posted where someone addressed the same question that I had posted so I doubly thank you both for being patient with me. Final quesion, about how much do you think is fair price for a Tribute off ebay or any other used seller. Also, is the Tribute, premier or prestige, or . . . forgive I can't think of the exact wording, but the one that comes with ash, is that one much better than the regular, or just a choice of tone pending the choice of wood?? Thanks

5. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY

It's Premier, and its really about what kind of finish you want. A clear coat or a clear color works better on ash because of the wood grain in the ash. Alder is better suited with a solid color. Thats standard.

6. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Actually, for the Tributes, the standard models are basswood, the Premium models are Swamp Ash for both L2000 and L2500. For the US models, it's Alder/Swamp Ash on the L2000 and Swamp Ash Top on basswood body for the all L2500s.

7. I played a Tribute and have given some serious thought to getting one for a backup to my USA L2500. They are so much more instrument than the Squier or S.U.B. that it's ridiculous. In fact they're closer to the USA G&Ls than the Skyline Laklands are to the USA Laklands.

8. thanks again to all for more insight into my inquiry. and thanks for clarifying that it is the premier model and what the differences are. I am going to be pouring over this forum to read reviews of people who own the L2500. I just got rid of my 55-02, and then I got a MIM Fender V, but am getting rid of that one too not becuase I didn't like the sound but becuase the one I bouhgt used at GC had some construction issues. But I am in desperate search for a 5 string and don't know where to turn.

9. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
  10. are you able to slap comfortable on your GL Lpdeluxe?

11. jpJackson

jpJackson

May 1, 2006
    Tribute L2000's rock. They have a great deep bass tone with the double humbuckers and a killer midrange wtih the active mode. The neck remindes me of an ernie ball stingray, i guess it's kind of like a cousin to that bass. It's really nice for slapping/tapping funk style but also has a nice rich heavy tone for dub or metal. So many options with all the switches and knobs that sometimes it's confusing to find the right tone but when you've got it, you know, and it smokes.

12. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I don't slap, that's not part of the material we are doing.

13. Glad you said that. That's the only thing I don't think the
    L2500 is well-suited for - slapping. I much prefer using a Tobias or something along those lines when it's time to slap.

14. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    The Tributes do not lack in sound quality compared to US made G&Ls IME. I owned an American made L-2500 that had a custom quilt top on a basswood body. That bass did not sound as good to my ears as my newly acquired L-2000 Tribute. The Tribute has the same electronics, the same bridge, and better shielding than the US ones. I would definitely go for the Premium so you get ash instead of basswood. The main difference that I see would be the neck. I am no expert on neck construction but the American ones are different and may be better long term. The fret work on my Tribute is better than the original fretwork on my US L-2500. And my Premium Tribute ran me about $300 used.

Dave