Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is the Geddy for me?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pearl_jammin, Jan 15, 2005.

1. I really like the Geddy Sig. I had a very brief try on one at a local guitar shop recently.
    I play mostly rock, funk etc.
    I overdrive my sound a lot so I thought this would be a perfect bass for that.

The one thing I'm worried about is how versitile this bass is for techniques like tapping, slapping etc?

I'm currently playing a Streamer Rockbass and that seems to work nicely in all genres of music.

Thanks for any input.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Geddy Lee has a great slap tone. And I have mine set up with extremely low action. It is great for tapping. I play Country Music(Stuart Hamm) on it all the time.

3. Thanks a lot, just what I needed to know :)

4. I think it'd be a great bass for what you want. I think most basses can do pretty much most things, the important thing is how it feels, looks and sounds to you. I've been told so many times that my P bass is the wrong bass for jazz and funk, total crap, between my P bass and BB3000S I have all the basses I need.

The golden rule to me is, if it feels, looks and sounds good to you, and you've really got to have it, and you can afford, then buy it sir, buy it.

The Geddy's a great bass, no question about that, and after seeing him play the real thing from the front row of the MEN Arena in Manchester UK earlier this year, I wouldn't mind one myself.

5. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Does it get that Marcus Miller / 70's J-bass slap tone?

6. This seems to be one of those basses where you never hear a bad word about. Except for maybe the machine heads that is...rarely hear a good word about them. Everything from the price to the ultra-fast neck to the stock BadAss Bridge to the complete overall versatility. I think out of a thousand reviews I've heard maybe 4 or 5 people who didn't like it.

To me it comes down to the Geddy or the Ibanez 500. Something about the soapbar pickups that I really love, of course I'll never get those with the Geddy. The Geddy is a little bit more however and I'm still making up my mind.

7. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I've got an Ibanez SR500, and played a Geddy, and I honestly love both. The Ibanez is very versatile, light, and comfortable, and the Geddy is a super-Jazz Bass. The quality will probably be equal on both, since they are within $200 of each other.

I'd get the Ibanez, but I know I'll be in the minority ;)

8. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Hey, I love both Geddy and Ibanez as much as the next person (3 Ibani and I'd love to make a pseudo-Geddy with a Warmoth dinky-J body, as the standard Jazz is a bit to big for my frame) but even I'll admit that the GL would have better resale value... if that's you're thing.

9. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Call me evil, but I like my Geddy Lee the best:

[​IMG]

10. Radiobass

Radiobass

Jan 10, 2005
    Nice! I love Wals...

The Geddy is a really versatile bass. It probably won't get a Marcus Miller sound, but it's still good for slapping, and everything else mentioned.

11. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I bought a Geddy Lee jazz bass the other day and used it the next night at a gig.
    All I can say this bass rocks I’ve owned a few American jazz basses and this thing is as good or better. A few people (some being bass players) came up to me and asked about the bass and said it sounded great.

12. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    If you played the bass, and it feeled, played and sounded nice to you, GO FOR IT!!!!

13. I seriously have been losing sleep over the Ibanez SR500 and the Geddy. I guess since they are both such awesome basses I have to go with my gut. I love soapbar pickups because I love my thumb to have lots of room to rest and anchor. I just can't stand J-Bass pickups in this regard. Your right though the Geddy would have a higher resale value than the SR500. I wish I could just make up my mind already... :crying:

When I fall asleep at night and I'm in Dreamland, I can afford both of them...

Mr Icon. Excuse me Mr. Icon...can I have both of them?

:scowl:

14. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    IMHO, yes. Killer slap tone. I'm pretty much a dedicated fiver, and black has always been my least favorite finish, but I just could not leave the store without this thing.

Get one. You won't regret it. :)

15. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    I've only played one Geddy, and I immediately noticed the pain in my fingers from the rough fret ends. Not something I found endearing about that particular bass. Anyone else notice rough fret work on other Geddys?

16. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Mine are fine. I've played it all night at one gig... no probs... in fact, due to that skinny little neck, my hands were especially UNfatigued at the end of that night. :)

Get one. You won't regret it. :)

17. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    By all measures that's simply humidity issues (constriction/expansion of the fingerboard) and isn't necessarily a sign of bad workmanship... especially in Memphis. I'd lay money that the bass has simply been hanging on the wall for too long - I've played Pedullas priced at 3K that have had the same problem, and reported it to the company (who were none too pleased that the store was letting the stock and therefore their "brand name" value deteriorate)

I wouldn't let that stop me from purchasing an instrument so long as the store was willing to do a n/c setup or take a fair amount off the price if they're unable to do so.

18. I'm playing mine as I type this.

I need new strings for this thing... 4 month old rotos and what not.

19. Before I even found this forum, the Geddy has been calling to me everytime I open up the Musician's Friend catalog. Then I found this forum and have read all the great accolades for it. But neither of my 2 local shops ever had the thing in stock.

Today I decided to stop in and play around just for the heck of it. The basses are all the way in the very back of the store (which is a pretty decent size) and about 3 steps in I hear this great bass sound. Not too bright, cutting through with just a little punch, just a really nice, clean sound. As I walk back I see a customer (from behind) sitting there trying out a Fender... and as I got closer I realized he was playing a Geddy!

After a few minutes I asked him how it played (since I could tell it sounded wonderful) and he raved about it for a few seconds. I said something about how I've been wanting to try one forever. He replied with "I'm buying this one". Once I assured him I wasn't there to buy, though, he let me play it for a few minutes while he went to get a sales rep to ring him up.

That thing played unbelievably well. I kept telling myself that once I finally tried one I wouldn't want one so much... boy was I wrong! :p
    The action felt great, the sustain was there, the neck was a perfect size (just a little bigger than my super slim Ibanez SR). I am in love with this bass. My spare change is going towards that bass for the next couple of months. :bassist:

20. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Get busy gettin' a Geddy, or get busy dyin'... damn right... ;)