Is the Gibson SG double neck the most embarrassing guitar in the world?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by g-dude, Dec 22, 2020.

1. The “signature bass idolatry” thread got me thinking.

Have you ever seen someone play one live and been able to withhold even the faintest hint of eye roll?

I mean, there are really two possibilities here:

1) You’re going to hear some Led Zeppelin covers.
    2) The guitarist has somehow engineered a situation in which he “needs” to play his double neck.

I know Elvis was once photographed playing one, but unfortunately the thing is permanently associated with Jimmy Page. You might as well strap on a Les Paul and whip out a violin bow while you’re at it.

Is there a single other instrument that is able to reach that same level of cringe? Bagpipes and accordion are automatically excluded.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Always makes me think Mahavishnu before Jimmy....
    McLaughlin+Rex+Bogue.jpg

Indiedog, Bob_Ross, zontar and 41 others like this.
  3. I think there are more knobs than frets!

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    My first instrument was accordion back in '61.

I played a Gibson EBS 1250 bass/guitar double neck in a local shop many years ago. I remember it being very cumbersome.

5. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Yeah, he started with the Gibson, but that one's his custom signature job, every option imaginable and then some!

6. ClusterFlux

ClusterFlux Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    It's not embarrassing if they can actually play it.

Conversely, there are some (like Steve Vai or Rick Nielsen) who lean into the cheese/entertainment factor. I'd say their customs are even more embarrassing than the SG, though that's kind of the point.

7. Gsnorgathon

Gsnorgathon

Jan 15, 2020
    Jaco only needed one. (C'mon - you know someone had to do it.)

8. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    GA
    Not embarrassing, but rather awkward to play, the necks are never quite where you want them, weighs a ton and feels like you're holding a wall. Looked good on paper, but-------

Indiedog, bobyoung53, tzohn and 6 others like this.
  9. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    First one I ever saw played live was John McLaughlin with Mahavishnu in 1972, and when you saw and heard what he was doing, you didn’t ask questions about the choice of tools. Had a friend in a prog band a few years later who played one, so I finally got a chance to try it. Too damned heavy and awkward for my tastes, and I am a pretty big guy with long arms and fingers. But embarrassing? Only in the hands of someone who can’t handle it. And of course pointless and pretentious if you’re not playing material that requires changing necks.

Bob_Ross, rtav, maxschrek and 10 others like this.
  10. Did he get Scotchguard and paint protectant?

11. Sid Fang

Jun 12, 2008
    When was that photo taken? I was really close to the stage when I saw him in ‘72, and my recollection was that he played a stock Gibson SG 6/12 double neck.

12. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    No clue, I just grabbed it from google, but yeah, my initial memory around '72 was of him with the Gibson, I recall it very clearly. Here's a shot of it:

english-guitarist-john-mclaughlin-playing-a-gibson-eds1275-doubleneck-picture-id169001457.jpg

13. Lowend65

Lowend65 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    It could be a lot worse

nitro.jpg

14. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    GA
    John got the Rex Bogue custom doubleneck you see in the photo in 1973 or so. It got extensive use in Mahavishnu MK II. Sadly it was split in half when it fell off a piano bench in a studio.

EatS1stBassist, design and BadJazz like this.
  15. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    They're not the best designed guitars in the world, but they're hardly cringe-worthy. If you need a 12 string for half a song and a 6 for the other half they make perfect sense.

This is cringe:
    scary-mannequin-guitar.jpg

16. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    I'm stumped: Why would anyone's guitar be embarrassing?

Bob_Ross, 12BitSlab, Loring and 17 others like this.
  17. Sid Fang

Jun 12, 2008
    1. The cheap ugly guitar that the kid is embarrassed to play with the cool guys - when he needn’t be, if he can really play.
    2. The Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul that the geezer in the “viva Viiagra” band is not embarrassed to play slogging through blues standards - when he should be, unless he can *really* play.

India_Sierra likes this.
  18. Sid Fang

Jun 12, 2008
    Oh, wow, that is really sick, and I mean that in both a good and a bad way. Nicely executed as craftsmanship and really disturbing conceptually. I have to believe it dates from a couple of decades ago. Now that we’re back in the 1950s, you can’t do that kind of thing anymore.

Loring, Skillet, lomo and 3 others like this.
  19. Wow...looks like someone wanted to combine a bass guitar and an anime body pillow.

KingShiv likes this.
  20. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I don't wait 30 minutes after eating, to go swimming.
    This feller made a lot of great music with one!

JP.jpg

zontar, Loring, Correlli and 12 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021