is the gk mb200 100 watts @ 8ohms and 200w @4ohms?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Dec 21, 2004.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    is the gk mb200 100 watts @ 8ohms and 200w @4ohms or is it 50@8ohms and 100 @4ohms

the name "mb200" leads me to believe its 200 @4 ohms, but more than one reviewer on harmony central says its only 100 watts. Plus the newer MB150 is 150 @4ohms so its less likely that they would downgrade their wattage on the new version. however, stranger things have happened!
  2. The head is 100 W at 4 ohms, and somewhere around 60-75 watts @ 8. You should be able to find the manual at the GK web site.:)

names on models aren't always a good way to tell power ratings:rolleyes:. Also, pwer ratings can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer because of what specs they test to. RMS power is the most conservative, esp. when rated from 20Hz to 20Khz, as is required practice in home audio ( I think I remember that from somewhere far away in my past.)
    Others use peak power or power at 1Khz or some just make up a number they like, or so it seems.
  3. I think the little MB150 head is expensive for a reason. It is very small and suppossed to be high quality. Does it do 2 ohms? That is the question. I bet you could grill a burger on those heat sinks with that amp running at 2 ohms.

How much coin do you have and what are you tonal requirements?

We'll help you spend your moeny as quickly as possible.
  4. The 200MB is 80 watts at 8 ohms and 100 watts at 4 ohms. The MB150 is 100 watts at 8 ohms and 150 watts at 4 ohms. The old naming structure for GK was double whatever the power is. For example, the 800 RB is 400 watts total. The original 400RB was 200 watts. The 2000RB is 1000 watts. The 1001RB is 500 watts. It's all screwed up now though. The 400RB-IV is 280 watts. The 1001RB-II is 700 watts while the 700RB-II is 480 watts. Are you confused yet? :meh:
  5. The MB150 is not rated at 2 ohms. It would get too hot and the thermal protection would kick in.
  6. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    thanks guys. not enough power for me as i need enough power for a medium size bar gig with a mid-level vol. wise band.

200 watts sounds about right for this application correct?
  7. If you can hang on for another month or so, the GK Neo 112 combo will be coming out soon. 320 watts. Sounds awsome. I just tested out the prototype today. It's bigger than the MB series, but still very light. I'll weigh it tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure it's under 50 lbs.
  8. DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    I got one for sale
    see the for sale forum!!! :)
  9. Here is a link to the manual for the 200MB. It doesn't show up in the list of available manuals on their web site. (Dan, you want to fix that?)
  10. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada

Thanks but after much research and trail and error i have finally found my perfect rig.

An AI Clarus and a wizzy cab. 33LBS at 250 loud watts. Plus, b/c the clarus is so light, 5lbs, i can just disconnect it and put it in my gig bag to bring to rehearsals etc where there is already a bass cab.

Played a gig the other nite with it and it sounds awesome as well as being super-portable.