1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is the Ibanez Iceman ICB200 as bad as some reviews say?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Funky Buttlovin, May 10, 2010.

1. I've ready a lot of pretty bad reviews of the Ibanez Iceman ICB200, but I really like the look (esp in brown sunburst) and still find myself tempted to grab one, especially given how cheap they are. I'm wondering what is so bad about these basses- I've read that the pups are crap, and that they're impossible to replace without rerouting. Is this the only real problem? If I were to reroute and install new pickups, would this be a decent bass?

Alternatively, is the ICB300 improved enough that it's worth looking at? Any input would be appreciated.

2. atheos

atheos

Sep 28, 2008
    Tampere, Finland
    I have ICB300EX with added active EQ bypass switch (I hate batteries). It rocks. The PU's are a bit muddy but bright strings compensate that nicely. IMHO the factory equipped Elixirs are not optimal strings for Iceman.

3. Thanks Atheos. So the overall build quality is good? I used to have an Ibanez Soundgear that I liked quite a bit, but that's the only Ibanez I've played for extended periods of time.

4. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    I owned an Iceman as well. Loved it for what it was. The neck is nice and thin and the string spacing is wide. Action can sit quite low too.

This is definitely a "hot" bass. Muddy mids can get out of control in a hurry, especially when digging into the strings. A good set of stainless steel strings sorts this out, like someone said in an above post.

I think the passive one sounds better actually, and you can do all your tweaking from the amp.

EDIT: As far as build quality, it's pretty good. It's on par with a Soundgear SR500. Solid, and actually light. Mine came with some factory scratches, which I wasn't exactly happy about. I ended up returning it b/c they bothered me a lot, plus I liked my ATK better.

5. arjune

arjune

Oct 8, 2006
    SF, CA
    The main problem that I had with mine was the muddiness of the pickups. Besides that and the looks that I grew out of liking, it was a decent bass.