Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is the Internet Creating Problems For Us?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mchildree, May 3, 2001.

1. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Man, I'm seeing more and more posts like "what website can I look at to become a good bass player?". Maybe I'm just showing my age, but has the 'Net created such an "I want it right now" attitude that it's hindering us instead of pushing us forward? It's obviously great for many, many things, and I myself wonder what I ever did without it (although I DO remember). We have instant access to many things that weren't available to us before, and it appears many of us expect to gain from the 'Net what used to be acquired only by years of practice and experience. At the very least, I'd bet that lots of us spend way too much time here...time that could be spent practicing, etc. I'd imagine that I'd be in the top percentile of the guilty on that one, especially since I just started DB.

I kind of equate Talkbass and some of the various bass lists to this: Back in the bad old days, touring bands (especially if you frequented podunk, outta-the-way areas) would always look forward to running into other players on the road. Whenever it happened, you'd have a big time exchanging information, checking out each other's gear, and lots of other useful stuff. Wouldn't take long, though, until the partying started and next thing you know, you've lost a couple of days or somebody couldn't make a gig or even something worse. The 'Net is like constantly running into other players, isn't it?

2. fisk

fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I think the net would only cause a problem if you surfed all the time and didnt practice. I work In my companies IT dept and spend all day in front of a pc hooked to the net.

I consider it a tool to gain info. This site and activebass.com have both given me invaluable information. Not only with lessons and tabs, but also several people helped me make a decision about which amp to buy. 5 to 10 years ago, I doubt this would have been possible.

However, the internets not enough, I still practice almost every night.

fisk

3. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    There's another thing I'm guilty of: Too much Talkbass at work!

4. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    Internet rocks! I am developing my bass skills at light year speeds. In my days there was nothing like this, eversince I took up the bass back after a 3 year layoff I am rocking. I was never this good!! All thanks to sites like talkbass or Bassically.net(great lessons on line) and of course the 110%support of my loving and caring wife!!

Of course I also spend a lot more time (about 1 to 2 hours each and everyday all by myself).. That helps!!

I am also working In the IT department!!

5. duff_hodges

duff_hodges

May 15, 2000
    Suffolk, UK
    Your not the only one who is addicted!!! If my computer broke I think I would have to go into rehab!!!! The internet is some serious $hit that messes with your mind.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Me too. I am the tech support in this office, so I sit here in front of the PC staring a TalkBass a lot.

7. fisk

fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thats what I do too. In between fixing peoples pc's, printers and resetting their passwords that they cant remember from yesterday, I spend a lot of time surfing. I'm addicted to this site (and a few others), and cant even imaging what i'd do without my puter or the net.

fisk

8. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I work tech support for a bunch of Tandem and UNIX boxes, making sure all you guys can get credit card transactions through. I don't feel too bad about surfing during free time at work...mainly just at home when I COULD be practicing DB or something constructive.

9. fisk

fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    You and I are very similar. I do desktop support but mostly i'm a lan administrator running NT and novell servers for my company. I have plenty of dead time during the day and spend way too much of it surfing and playing yahoo euchre and reading about bass amps and other fun (nonproductive) stuff.

And at home, I try my best to stay off line untill after i practice.

fisk

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I really do see a sizeable number of posts around the web by aspiring bassists who were brought up in the "instant coffee" "push a button to solve the problem," "lose 10 lbs. in 10 days" mentality.

They want to know which pedal will cover up their deficiencies, which mods to get for their bass because the reason they can't play well is obviously the instrument's fault ;) , or what tricks we can pass on. They want drive drag strip rail to proficiency, but it's really more like a trot at best.

It is tempting to just communicate ad nauseum with other bassists on the net. I find I ask myself when considering to post, "Is this worth the time/effort." For some, it just seems to be knee jerk reaction to post.

BTW, my fast PC makes more involvement possible.

11. fisk

fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Here, Here on the fast connection. My T3 line at work means I can bring in a 6mg mp3 in about 15 to 20 seconds if the sending server is fast enough.
    Got to love that.

fisk

12. Basswou

Basswou

Apr 15, 2001
    Belgium
    the only good site ( yet ) is TB !
    I am fustrated by all those online lessons , I can't work with that !! Who wants to stare at your P.C. and playing bass at the same time at a desk ?

Not me , before you figure things out on all those
    lesson sites bedtime is allready there . :)

to get scores from the net I download midi files and bring them into a midi/score programm ( magix)
    works fine !

13. that IS a good way to get scores... :)

even my music teacher does that.... he sends us a midi file and we can look at it at home, and print it out or he prints it out for us... great stuff! :)

and by "we" I mean my band... we take lessons all together.... :)

14. I Hate you :D .

15. rickbass

"macho, macho, macho man/I've got to be a macho man!...." Did we have testosterone for breakfast? ;)

Seriously, fisk, what's going to happen when telematics become a common option in cars, within a couple of years :eek: ....."Well, officer, it was like this. I got really pissed off at this guy on TalkBass who was dissing my Rogue/Gorilla rig, so I was getting so amped using the voice recognition to flame him, next thing I know, the back of a school bus is now the hood of my car!"

16. fisk

fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Too funny..[​IMG]

But Rick, in my defense, I feel like I paid my dues to get here. Waaaaaaaay back in 1984, I had a TRS-80 with a lightning fast 1200 baud modem and I was connected to compuserve. This was all dos based, long before windows came along. For those of you that dont know what 1200 baud means compared to your average 56k dial up modem, thats the difference between a '72 pinto and top-fuel dragster.

Back then, compuserve had a few online games and what it called simulated CB, which was the forerunner of the chat room. And not much else. And you got all this for the incredible sum of FIVE DOLLARS AN HOUR. What a deal.

so i'll happily take my T3 line now.

fisk

17. rickbass

fisk - Man, you do go way back!!! My frame of reference only goes back to `91 when all I had was a 2400 baud connection and the way to link was ftp. You looked at file names and tried to guess which one had what you were looking for from the filename. Then, if it was a zip file, you hoped you had the right "unzipping" software and that it didn't take half an hour. Jeez, that was so primitive to primitive to me, but I can't imagine what `84 was like. I was cussing at SAS then. :rolleyes:

18. fisk

fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm only 35, I just started early. I spent $1,000 on that TRS-80 back in 82 when i was a junior in hs. I was the first nerd on my block to have a home pc. It had no hardrive, no pre-loaded software (no hd to load it to), 64k of ram, no sound card, no graphics card, no floppy drive and it did absolutely NOTHING until you programmed it yourself, or loaded a program from a tape recorder.

Yep, i was a computer nerd and sci-fi nut back then. I had the chicks in school crawling all over me......NOT.[​IMG]

fisk