Is the J-Bass just as good at playing P-Bass sort of music?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by canary, Jul 6, 2004.

1. canary

Jun 1, 2004
    hi, this is sort of in connection with my other thread about J making a P sound.

but what i want to know is:
    Can the J-Bass do just as well, or even better at playin the sort of music a P-Bass would be used for?
    Can it play P-Bass music?

if you get what i mean
  2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    You really like stirring up religious wars, don't you?

There is no right answer to these questions. People will give you answers in every direction on a question like this. Go listen to some music. Find what you like and then find out what the player used on that recording. You will find P's and J's both used very heavily by big name artists. In fact, you will hear both of these types of basses used heavily in nearly every genre of music.
  3. The P-bass has a "ballsy" sound and is not really tuneable. The Jazz bass is much easier to tune the way you want it, but it can't reach the level of balls that the P bass can. The only way for you to know is to go play both and compare.
  4. canary

Jun 1, 2004
    yeah i have tried both but theres nothing in it, i can`t decide. sorry for making pointless threads
  5. BucketButt

Sep 10, 2003
    Medina, TN USA
    If I could have only one bass and had to choose between a P and a J, I suppose I'd go with the J. A Fender Jazz can't really produce the Precision's sound, but it can come close enough for most purposes. A Precision can't possibly cover the full spectrum of sounds that a Jazz can, it's pretty much a one-trick pony -- but what a trick!

Fortunately, MIM Fenders are reasonably inexpensive, so it's possible for many of us to own both a P *and* a J ... although I'm still looking for "my" J.

Or you might consider a Fender Aerodyne, with a P pickup at the neck (actually mid-body) and a J pickup at the bridge. I almost bought one that sounded fabulous, but I waited too long and it went home with someone else.
  6. canary

Jun 1, 2004
    how much would one of them cost?
  7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

1. Get a Fender bass with both P and J pickups

2. 99.9% of the audience can't tell the difference
  8. can it play the same sort of music? of course it can. it's an electric bass. can it get the same sound? no.
  9. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Spot on. A P is a P, and a J is a J. Both work well in all kinds of music, and both have staunch supporters (I'm a P guy). The P+J is a good alternative to settle in the middle, as you can solo the P pickup and get the p sound, and then dial in the J pickup for something close to a jazz bass. Good luck finding what your ears are after.
  10. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    What is P-Bass music?
  11. canary

Jun 1, 2004
    punchy, driving base lines. eg, queens of the stoneage, sex pistols, public image
  12. canary

Jun 1, 2004
    are there any other basses (not made by Fender) that can cover both P and J sounds???
  13. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    The G&L SB-2 is a great P/J bass with a smaller body and thinner neck for better playability etc. They are around $900 new or can be found used around $500 at a great value.

They also have no tone pots, so the output is hot and grindy and would be great for all kinds of rock a la the Queens of the Stone Age, P.I.L., Sex Pistols et. al. Check one out.
  14. canary

Jun 1, 2004
    sorry but i can only spend around £400 GBP, are there any P/J basses for that price?
  15. There are alot of budget P/J's out there, but fender is probably your best bet. I think Fender and Squier make a budget P/J.

If you are a do-it-yourself kind of guy, you could get either a P or a J bass and put another pickup in it.

I think fender also made a couple basses that were essentially J basses with a P pickup between them. I think they were pretty expensive though ($1500+)
  16. actually Nick Oliveri has been known to use both jazz and precision in kyuss and queens of the stone age(watch the video for the lost art of keeping a secret)
  17. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    The G&L Tribute series has an SB-2 that sells for $450 USD, so that should be within the 400 GBP, and is still less than the Fender Deluxe P-Bass Special which sells for $530 USD.

The Squier Standard P-Bass Special 4-String Bass is a P/J bass that sells for $219 USD, yet it is a significant dropoff in quality. I'd shoot for the G&L Tribute as they have received good reviews here on TB.
  18. BucketButt

Sep 10, 2003
    Medina, TN USA
    A Fender Aerodyne usually runs around US$630 at the larger online retailers such as Musician's Friend; my favorite local store charges about $100 more. No idea what the price may be elsewhere.

If this is out of your price range, you might consider the MIM Fender Deluxe Precision Special; it has the same P/J configuration and Jazz-style neck as the Aerodyne, but a Precision body. It should cost a bit less than the Aerodyne, but I've never played one and don't know how it compares in terms of quality.

IIRC there is also a Squier-branded version of the Precision Special which would cost even less than the MIM Fender version.

Several other brands have basses with the P/J pickup configuration; I've seen them in all but the very lowest and highest price ranges, and of course quality varies considerably.
  19. Any bass can be used to play any kind of music there's is no bass on earth that is only good for one thing.
  20. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Why dont you get a jazz and find someone who can make for you some P-like wounded jazz pickups? I sugest this because the only thing that really changes the sound are the pickups, recently played a totaly p shaped bass with alder body maple p-neck rosewood fingerboard and J-J pickups and sounded the same as a jazz